Chapter Thirty Three

When my father was done with his little talk, he allowed me to tell Siobhan that I'd see her first thing Monday morning. It was already Saturday afternoon by then, so a day and half wouldn't kill us. Plus, I knew she'd probably get into some trouble of her own for lying to her father.

Once Monday arrived, the very first thing I did when I woke up, was get dressed and run across the street. Siobhan was there, waiting for me with a smile on her face. We spent the next couple of weeks together. She and her dad came over to my mom's house for Christmas dinner. We all exchanged gifts.

Siobhan and I had agreed to do our usual makeshift gift for each other. Another silly thing we did every year was make each other's gifts. Since we weren't speaking to each other last year, I gave her the gift I had made her last year as well as the one for this year. She did the same. They were never anything impressive, by any means, usually childish looking art projects but it was kind of like our wall of carnival pictures. It was just something that we did. Something that I wouldn't trade for the world.

When New Year's Eve arrived, Thomas had invited us to a little party at his house. He assured us that Devon wasn't going to be there. It ultimately just ended up being a few of our friends, nothing big. Thomas, of course, provided the booze. By the time midnight rolled around, we were all pretty sloshed.

As the countdown began, I pulled her close to me and whispered in her ear, "This coming year is going to be the best year of our lives. We turn eighteen this year."

She looked up at me and smiled. "We get out of this town this year. Like we planned?"

"I promise." I gave her a quick kiss as the countdown from 10 to 1 began. I held on to her tightly as we both shouted out the numbers. As we hit one, she smashed her lips onto mine. As our lips parted, I leaned my forehead against hers, eyes looking into hers. I pressed my hands to her cheeks, "This time last year, we weren't even speaking to each other. I spent New Year's alone, playing video games."

"What a difference a year makes," she said, smiling at me.

"Happy New Year, baby." I kissed her again, "This year, I'm giving you the world."