Chapter Fifty Three

When we met up, she looked beautiful, as always. We ordered our drinks and sat in silence.

"I, uh, heard your song."

"Yeah. What do ya think?"

"I like it. It's quite...personal."

"Yeah, well, that's how most people write songs, isn't it? I mean, you do."

"Indeed I do." She smiled at me as our drinks were delivered and we ordered our food.

"I'll admit, I was nervous for you to hear it. I wasn't sure how you were going to take it."

"I'll admit, I didn't take it too well but then I remembered, as you pointed out, that I did the same. And you heard those songs, so it's only fair. Except mine aren't playing on the radio all across the globe." She said this with a straight face before smiling at me to let me know she wasn't upset.

After that, the night went well. We had our food and a few more drinks before parting ways outside. I had offered to walk her home but she declined, saying she didn't live far and would be just fine. I watched her as she walked off, raising her hand to wave behind her, knowing I was still there.

The next several months went by. I was working on my album, flying to and from the States to work with people, trying to remain focused on my own work. Siobhan was always off on some new adventure. But we kept in touch and always got together when we were both in the same town.

When 2016 was ending, Siobhan invited me to a New Year's party that some friend of a friend was having. I accepted, hoping, of course, for things to start moving in my favor. But, that was not to be the case.

When I arrived at our meeting spot, she was not alone. Some tall, dark, and handsome (aren't they always?) guy was with her. His arms around her to keep her warm. I stopped in my tracks, almost deciding to turn around when he pointed at me. She turned and saw me and waved.

"Niall!" She shouted over the other revelers.

'Fuck, can't leave now.' I thought as my feet forced their way over to them. "Hey, Siobhan," I said.

"Hey, Niall. This is David. David this is an old friend from Ireland, Niall. We recently got back in touch."

David stuck his hand out to me and I begrudgingly took it. This was not how I envisioned this night going. We began walking in the direction of this party, David's hand in hers. She did look a little nervous, and mouthed "I'm sorry" to me which only confused me more.

When we got to the party, David took her coat and put them in the back room. I followed to put mine away.

"So how do you know Siobhan?" I asked, trying to sound nonchalant.

"You don't remember me?" He asked, turning around.

"Have we met?"

"Yeah, I'm the bartender at the pub where you first heard her play."

"Ohh, shit! It is you! Wow." I said, trying to be happy about this not so fun coincidence.  "Yeah, I, uh, we grew up in the same town." I wasn't sure what to tell him, not knowing what she had said.

"Cool."

"Are you two, uh, dating?" I asked, trying not to seem nosy.

"Yeah. For a couple of months. Finally got the courage to ask her back in October when she came to play."

"Oh, wow. How are things going?"

"Pretty good, I think. It hasn't been anything too serious, she's always on the move, it seems. But, I'm hoping it will."

"Oh, well, I wish you luck. She's a great girl. At least, she was back when I knew her."

"Yeah, she is." David smiled at me before exiting the room. All I could do was envision me throwing him out the window.

I exited the room, as well, and made my way to the drink bar. I knew that the only way I was going to get through this night was if I got plastered. Which is exactly what I did.

I drank my beers as I watched the two of them look all cozy. She came over to me a few times, to ask if I was okay. I kept telling her I was fine, but that I did feel a little like a third wheel. She apologized and promised we could do something together, just us, soon.

At one point, David disappeared, and a slower song came on, so I made my way over to her, "Care to take a turn around the floor?"

She laughed at me but accepted my hand. But before we could do anything, the song came to a screeching halt. "Sorry, everyone, something funky has happened. Gonna fix it. Hold tight."

"Shit." I said.

"It's okay, Niall. It'll get fixed."

"Will it?" I mumbled as I made my way away from her to the balcony outside. I took a long, sharp breath of air into my lungs. I wanted to cry but held it in.

"Niall." I heard behind me. I turned to see her looking at me, concern on her face. "Are you okay? Feeling okay?"

"Not really. I may have drank too much already," I said, trying to laugh between the lies.

She softly smiled at me as she walked closer to me. "You can go home, if you want. We can get a cab."

"Nah, it's okay. It's almost midnight."

She got closer to me until she was only inches away. She placed her hand on my cheek and I could've sworn she was going to kiss me but guess who decided to reappear - David!

"Babe, it's almost time, come on back inside, you two. Niall, dude, you've gotta be cold." He said all this, not seeming to realize what he was looking at, or perhaps he wasn't looking at anything but two "old friends". Maybe I imagined the whole exchange. I don't know. But she walked back and I followed.

I went back to the bar while everyone who had someone to kiss gathered around as the clock struck 12. I watched as the girl I was supposed to kiss that night kissed someone else. "Happy fucking New Year," I said, as I downed another drink.

I continued to pour alcohol down my throat as the first hour of 2017 crept by. I finally decided I couldn't take it and left. I didn't bother to tell her I was leaving. She didn't need to know. She hardly even spoke with me the entire night anyway.

I went home and passed out.