Chapter 2

When classes have ended, students came rushing out of their rooms and onto the fields. By the time Cassandra finished cleaning up her desk, James was already nowhere to be seen. She sighed, picking up a book she had yet to finish.

After taking a peek outside, she tried to quietly make her way to an empty table she spot not too far away. However, when she was halfway there...

THUD!

"Ah!"

She felt everything go completely dark as her face suddenly felt a throbbing pain. A ball had gone astray and hit her head, making her fall head first into the dirt.

Cassandra sniffled, digging fingers into the soil and pushing her light body upwards. The students went silent seeing the girl's gown adorned with soil and a small bruise on her cheek. The small ribbon that kept her hair together had fallen off, and her book was torn and dirty.

"Cassy, oh no!"

She heard a familiar voice along with the sounds of footsteps going in her direction.

"N-no, no! I'm okay!" She tried to laugh it off, keeping her eyes on the ground as to not show anyone the tears that were forming in her eyes. 'Marlon...where's Marlon?'

She didnt remember him telling her where he was. Cass only bit her already aching lip, just wanting to see her brother. She dashed back into the school before James could catch her, unable to do anything but watch.

"M-Marlon...?"

...

"I-I-It's me! C-Cass!"

...

"...Marlon...?"

Nothing. There was no reply.

Cassandra's face continued to throb with pain as she did nothing but stand in the hall, alone and scared.

"Excuse me...?"

She froze.

"I-I'm fine."

"You don't look like it..."

She rubbed her arms, refusing to look back at the prince standing behind her until she felt something moving in her hair.

When she turned her head, James frowned. "Stay still for a bit, will ya?"

"Sorry..."

What was he doing? She was worried, but at the same time let him do whatever he was doing.

"Ta-da! Uh..."

Cass moved her hands up behind her head, once again feeling the presence of her ribbon despite it falling off earlier.

Did James just try to tie it back?

"Thank you, James, but..."

More footsteps coming their direction.

"Ugh, James! What have you done to the poor girl's hair?!"

James took a proud stance as Cassandra watched two princesses walk up by his side. The one in purple approached her with a worried face.

"Oh no...should I call Miss Flora?"

Despite wanting to say no, Cassandra nodded anyways. Maybe she could even ask Miss Flora where her brother was.

On the other hand, the blonde princesa was scholding Jamea for whatever reason. The resemblance between the two was uncanny, now making it clear to the girl that she was Princess Amber. Meaning that...

"Princess Sofia...?"

The girl in purple smiled. "Yes?" Cass ended up shaking her head again, having enough she needed to reaffirm her identity.

Maybe it was comforting, yet also made her out of place. The peasant girl blended so naturally into the school, yet herself, who was a princess by blood, was petty enough to cry because she couldnt find her brother.

When Miss Flora had arrived to treat Cassandra's wounds, James and Sofia stayed with her.

They chatted about all sorts of things, from their Royal Sorceror, to the other students, to their own family.

She only quietly sat there, watching with a small smile as the two seemed to go on forever.

"What about your family?"

She froze once more. "M-My family...? It's just my brother and I..."

The other two went silent. Yeah, it was definitely a surprise. With the heir of Acanthus's throne not even ready to rule, their castle had been in anarchy as the kingdom needed orders from an official.

"I-Its fine...Anyways, how is your family?" Cass nervously spoke, trying to redirect the conversation. James seemed to pick up with what she was going for, and smiled once again.

"Awesome!" He punched the air enthusiastically despite not needing to. Eventually, the conversation got lighter and Cass had found herself some new friends by the end of the day.