Chapter 16

Cassandra looked at herself in the mirror, her purple eyes shimmering with awe at her own reflection. She was in disbelief.

Her hair was tame compared to the usual wavy mess it was. She had her bangs combed a bit to the side, making it all the more capable for her eyes to glimmer from the light of the room. Her neck was adorned with a jeweled necklace, and on her hair was a crown. For once, she was confident in how she looked.

She blinked a few times, finally noticing the light makeup that was put on her face. Cass wasn't one to like all the powders and pigments, but this one was a look she really loved.

Fiorello chuckled lightly as he adjusted his coat. "How is the dress, Your Majesty? You seem to be carried away looking at your face." The princess stepped away from the mirror, more pink colors flushing her face when realized she was staring too long.

"It's lovely, Fior..." Cassandra's meek voice sounded genuinely pleased, making a few turns around as she admired herself. She watched as the fabrics and the ribbons twirled with the movement, then stopping and giving Fior a nod.

"Oh dear, I almost forgot!" Fiorello adjusted his monocle, opening a cute box and offering it to the princess. Inside, a pair of long silky gloves were neatly folded. "These should cover up the marks, and still cover up if they grow any more."

Cassandra's smile faded, fidgeting her hands with a sigh. Fiorello put the box back on her dresser. "Hey, Fior..." She asked, her tone becoming soft once more.

"...What do you think will happen if the marks cover my body?" Her voice shuddered, removing the gloves she was wearing, revealing the black marks crawling up her hands. "H-How much worse will the curse get? I-I-Is there a-anything I can do about? Has Marlon f-found a way to reverse it?"

The butler didnt know how he would respond. The girl was breaking down in tears from fear and worry, and he couldn't give her a single answer to any of her questions. He simply walked up to her, and embraced the young girl in a hug.

"W-what will happen to me?" She sobbed. "What if it affects Marlon? What if it affects you? What if it affects my friends?" She cried more, the silver haired man silently patting her back in comfort.

"I'm walking misfortune..." She said, wiping her tears away as her makeup slightly smeared. "I-I'm sorry...I didn't mean to take it all out on you."

"It's alright, Princess." Fiorello gave an understanding smile. "Now, you should rest. I am sure you are tired, plus, you need to go to school tomorrow."

-------

James nervously stood outside the classroom. He peeked inside, seeing Cassandra sitting on her desk as she silently read a book. He watched as her expressions changed, going from happy, to anticipated, to sad the more pages she flipped.

He chuckled silently to himself, finding himself smiling as he watched.

"James!"

The prince looked away, turning back to the halls where he was confronted with Amber. She tapped her foot against the marble floor as she crossed her arms.

"Why are you just standing there and stalking her?!" Amber said with annoyance, though she did her best to keep her voice down. "I thought you said you were going to reserve your first dance with her!"

"First of all, I will. Second of all, this isn't stalking! I was...observing." James' voice croaked slightly in worry, as he knew Amber wouldn't take that as an excuse no matter what.

Amber gripped his wrist. "James, you are telling her now!" She yanked on his arm, then walking into the classroom and pushing him towards the girl.

"Amber, she wouldn't like--!"

Next thing he knew, he was right in front of her. The other students in the classroom stared in anticipation, some beginning to whisper.

"Y-yes...?" Cassandra's cheeks turned red, though James could only assume it was from the nervousness of being watched. He could clearly see her face as he stared directly into her eyes.

"Cassy...would you...reserve me..." James gulped. "Yourfirstdanceduringyourbrother'scoronation?"

The class erupted into squealing from the girls, and even more noise from the boys. Cassandra sat still in her seat, her face slowly flushing with red in embarrasment before turning blue as she got nervous.

"Cassy...are you alri--"

She got up from her seat loudly, darting out the door as the students then fell silent. They all looked to James, some holding back their laughter at what they thought was rejection.

"Hmm...I underestimated her feelings for you." Amber said with a frown. James shook his head. "You put her on the spot, Amber... She got nervous." He ran after the girl, his heart pounding from worry.

Luckily, it wasn't long till he found her sitting outside under a tree. She was still red as a rose, hugging her knees close to her chest. Silently, James sat beside her, causing her to slightly jump in fear before she relaxed.

"...I'd love to have you for my first dance." Cassandra said meekly, looking away in embarrassment. James felt his cheeks burn, giving her a lively smile. "Cool. Sorry for a while ago, by the way...Amber kinda forced me..." He chuckled, rubbing his neck awkwardly.

Cassandra laughed lightly, her anxiousness then turning into a small smile. "It's weird..." She looked to James. "Really weird."

"W-what is?" James felt his heart pound. He didnt realize they were sitting this close. Her face was in full view; her hair brushed to the side, her twinkling eyes, all of it.

Cassandra looked back to the sky. "The book I was reading... There was a scene where the prince asked the princess to be her first dance. I sat there thinking if one day some prince will ask me the same thing." She smiled as James stared at her, once again getting lost in the glance

"...Do they end up together?"

Cassandra turned to James again, a little curious, but shrugged. "I haven't finished the book."

The two sat there for maybe a minute, looking into each other's eyes before they looked away awkwardly.

"We should get back to class." James said with a small laugh, Cassandra only nodded as she stood up, brushing the grass off of her dress.