Chapter 14

Cassandra had quickly walked out of the room, her face redder than ever. She brought a hand up her hair, ruffling her bangs in the hopes of covering up the redness. She muttered softly to herself, once again not noticing Prince Hugo sneaking up behind her.

"Gah!" Cassandra yelped once more, clutching all the letters near her chest. She sighed, her expression seemingly less relieved than before.

"Hugo!" She said with the intensity of a yell but the volume of a whisper. "Do you really have to sneak up on me all the time?" She frowned, attempting to hold the lettets back together.

Hugo simply chuckled, watching the girl rearrange the cute letters in a much neater pile. "I don't sneak up on you." He smiled. "You're always just surprised everytime I approach. Let me guess..."

Hugo tapped his chin a few times, faking the intense expression of wonder before looking back at the girl. "Do you like me?"

"Eh?"

The girl tilted her head to the side, almost as if she didn't know what he meant. Of course, she knew what 'to like' was, but maybe...ye meant it in a different context? Or maybe he  meant as a friend?

Cassandra felt flustered either way, but smiled it off knowing it was normal to be teased by him. "Yeah, yeah. Whatever you say, Hugo." She rolled her eyes but giggled at the end.

"So, who's next on your invitation list?" Hugo said, crossing his arms. Cass frowned, looking down at the few envelopes she had left.

"I..don't know, actually." She shrugged, leaning on the wall beside him. "I'm sure many of the people here will be formally invited either way." She sighed.

The two stood in silence, not even exchanging a glance before they heard the school bell ring, signaling students should be heading to their classrooms.

"Oh...I'll see you later then, Hugo." Cass smiled, turning the other direction and beginning to walk off before Hugo lightly grabbed her wrist, causing her to look back at him with a curious expression.

"So...if its not me you like..." He grinned. "It really is James, isn't it?"

The girl was caught off guard once again, this time her expression staying still despite the red tints building up on her face.

Hugo bursted into laughter. "I knew it!" He regained his breath before waving. "See you soon, Cass."

-------

Cassandra sat in the dinner table, staring down at her food, beside her plates were the left over invitations. Was she really that easy to figure out? Wait, no...

Did she actually like James?

She felt her face begin to get flustered before remembering Fior and the maids were in the same room. It was a little difficult considering she had been thinking out it everyday, not to mention the fact that the day seemed to pass just by her daydreaming.

Fior cleared his throat, causing the girl to blink a few times and snap her out of her thoughts. "Your brother will be dining with you this time, Princess."

Cassandra pushed her hair back, giving him a smile and a nod. She felt happy Marlon found time to spend just a bit with her despite how busy he was nowadays. Actually, he was always able to find time.

The maids bowed as the door opened, allowing the light from the outside to merge with the soft lighting of candles in the room. Cassandra's eyes widened at the sight of someone walking down to Marlon's seat.

Wait a minute... she rubbed her eyes before narrowing them. "....Marlon?" She was taken back by the new look.

He was...neat. His once curly, messy hair was straightened and swept to one side. He seemed to be wearing powder on his pale face, maybe a bit of blush to bring color onto his cheeks. Overall, he looked...different.

Marlon chuckled, taking a seat. "Like the look? Mom said I better fix my hair or she'll beat me up." He laughed, picking up his utensils to eat.

"Woah..." Cassandra burst into laughter. "You look like some...old, unwanted suitor!" She brought up a hand to her mouth and stiffled her remaining giggles. "Aw man, don't tell me I have to go through this too."

Fiorello coughed and Marlon started giggling as well. Cassandra frowned. "Oh no."

"You see, Miss..." Fiorello adjusted his gloves. "You will be fitting gowns for the coronation, as well as trying hair-do's and makeup." Cassandra turned to Marlon.

"Marlon, I don't like makeup..." She frowned. Marlon simply gave her a kind smile.

"Mom requested it."

She stayed silent, looking down to her half-eaten food. "Oh...then..." She reverted back to a smile, nodding to her brother. "I'll do it."

A/N : HELLO!!! I hope you're all doing alright amidst the covid-19 crisis. Sorry this chapter might feel a bit rushed! I'm on a writer's block. ;-;