Chapter 19

Cassandra and James stood out the large balcony, the moonlight reflecting off of their eyes which stared deeply into each other.

"Cassandra, there's something I want to tell you."

James said with a small blush. His eyes looked away for a second, almost shy despite the smile on his face. Cassandra's eyes twinkled as she let in a gasp. "Y-yes?"

James held her hands gently, warming them through her white silk gloves. He looked back up at her, leaning in close. "I've always wanted to say this. I--"

"Princess!"

Cassandra jumped backwards in shock, putting space in between her and James. Fiorello walked up to them, giving the two a friendly smile before bowing to the princess. James sighed, looking away in embarrassment as he failed to convey what he wanted to tell her.

"Your mother has something important to tell you." Fiorello stood back upright as Cass turned to James with an awkward smile.

"Oh, um...sorry, James. I really need to go."

James shook his head and smiled back, not wanting to interrupt the time she needed to spend with her mother. As the two Acanthians walked away, James groaned and looked up to the sky. "Darn it, I was so close..."

--------------------------

Cassandra found herself over to where her pale mother was. She smiled excitedly, but only tilted her head when she sees Hugo with her.

"Mom? Hugo?" She asked, giving Hugo a soft wave before giving Queen Daphne a confused expression. "What's going on?"

"Nothing much, dear." Daphne smiled with a frail expression. Cassandra looked to Hugo, who seemed to be avoiding eye contact. Queen Daphne continued to speak, coughing ever so gently before doing so.

"I'm sure both of you have already met, which makes this a lot easier for me."

Cassandra opened her mouth to speak, but then decided to stay silent. What was she talking about? It makes what a lot easier for her? She glanced to Hugo again, but even when he turned back to her, she couldnt get an answer.

"His parents and I have agreed on a marriage in the future."

Cassandra gasped softly, bringing one of her gloved hands to her mouth as she stood in shock. Hugo looked away, seemingly guilty of having to be involved, but couldn't do much about their parents' arrangement at all.

"It makes me happy to know my lovely daughter will be betrothed to the boy who saved her life." Daphne forced a smile despite seeming like she was in some sort of physical pain. Fiorello stood beside her as she held his arm for support.

"Ah...o-of course..." Cassandra looked down to her feet. She was right, though. Hugo did save her from the fall, and maybe this is how she could repay him?

No, she couldnt...No amount of what she could do would ever repay Hugo. Not to mention she didn't love Hugo, at least in that way.

James soon jogged after them, standing next to Sofia and Amber who watched the scenario unfold. James blinked a few times. "What's happening? Why's Hugo over there?"

Amber smacked him over the head with her jeweled fan, bringing a finger up to her lips to tell him to keep quiet. Sofia answered for her, "They're getting engaged."

"E-engaged...?" James felt his heart drop. It couldnt be real. They were barely of age. He didnt even get to tell her. "No way..." He mumbled, biting his lip as he felt a slight pain in his chest.

After the talk, Queen Daphne walked away to tend to the other quests as Cass and Huho walked over to their friends, a bit of an awkward yet slightly gloomy expression on their face. Cassandra turned to James, hiding her current feelings about the situation.

"Sorry about that, did you want to say anything?" She smiled sweetly, but the prince only looked away. It hurt. A lot. James looked back at her, forcing his usual cheeky grim except anyone who's known him could tell it was fake. "It wasn't all that important, Cassy."

Hugo looked to the side. "Look, guys--"

"Yeah, we know." James said, trying his best to keep his smile up. "Oh hey I think the buffet is up, I'll beat you guys there!" He quickly turned away, then running off.

"James!" Sofia called out, running after him. It was clear he was heading somewhere that wasn't the buffet table. Amber looked to Hugo and Cassandra, biting her lip in silence as she didn't know how to approach the situation.

"So..." Cassandra spoke, her usual meek tone coming back to them. "...I'll see you guys around the party." She turned around, taking small steps in her high heels as she walked away as well.

A/N : So sorry about the super late upload! We had a bit of online classes, so it was a bit hard for me to write!