Chapter 20

Cassandra ran past the balcony, down a flight of stairs which led her right to a simple garden below. She sighed, sitting down on a marble bench and staring down at her gloved hands. She brought one up to her chest, trying to control her breathing as she felt a lingering pain in her chest.

The princess sniffled, then she sniffled again. Next thing she knew, tears were rolling down her cheeks. She didn't understand why. Cassandra found herself enjoying every bit of the ball, and then all of a sudden, her feelings of delight were thrown away.

Ah, she remembers now.

Cassandra remembered how she came to accept her feelings for James. The kind, cheeky, loud, yet loving prince of Enchancia. She may have liked, maybe even loved, the young prince, but Queen Daphne was her mother. She couldn't oppose.

The princess heard light heeled footsteps along the stone pavement leading to the bench. Amber held her jeweled purse in one arm, using the other to hold up a lantern as she walked through the darkness. Cassandra found herself attempting to hide her tears, but it was no use.

"Your makeup is ruined." Amber sighed, but smiled gently. Cass looked at her, confused, but moved over to give her fellow princess some space to sit down. Amber reached into her purse, pulling out a silky handkerchief. She lightly dabbed away Cassandra's tears, making sure to get rid of the messy makeup sliding down her face.

"Amber..." Cassandra asked, looking up at the moon as she felt Amber dry her cheeks. "...Did you ever have to do something you didn't want to do?" She asked with a timid tone, hugging her arms from the cold air around them.

Amber paused to think. She wanted to comfort the girl, but didn't want to have to seem unempathetic by lying about having to do so. She only smiled, grabbed a makeup brush and a small palette, dabbing the soft powders onto Cassandra's face.

"No, not in the same way. Though, I did have to make a few small sacrifices before. I think my problems and yours can be solved similarly."

Amber spoke gently, her tone no longer vain like she usually was. Cassandra raised an eyebrow, allowing Amber to reapply the faded blush on her cheeks.

"You just have to realize if its worth the sacrifice."

Cassandra opened her eyes when she felt the brush move away from her face. "I...I don't even know why I have to marry Hugo..." Amber brought the lantern closer to her face, seeing if she was pleased with the look before smiling.

"In the end, you have the power to end it." Amber held her hand gently for comfort, then turning to all her brushes and makeup palettes. Cassandra nodded, giving Amber a smile as the Enchancian princess held her hand out.

"Oh, I'll head back inside later." Cassandra declined, "I think I'll stay out here a bit longer. The night sky is quite beautiful." Amber gave a simple shrug, turning her heel and walking back up the flight of stairs leading to the balcony.

Amber felt herself bump into someone else, stepping backwards as she closed her eyes, expecting to fall down the stairs. Instead, a strong arm wrapped itself around her waist, pulling her closer towards a firm chest.

"Are you alright?" The familiar voice asked. Amber's cheeks turned red, seeing up close the face of the newly crowned King Marlon of Acanthus. He slowly let go of her and stepped back, bowing in politeness. "You nearly fell off the stairs."

"A-ah! Yes! How clumsy of me!" Amber said with a nervous laugh, her hand skimming into her purse, needing to find the fan to hide her blushing face. Marlon stepped closer once more, looking over her shoulder and down the stairs. Amber nearly squeaked.

"Is Cass there?" He asked, stepping back with a look of concern. Amber nodded vigorously. "Yes, she is! I fixed her makeup, but she said she wanted to be alone right now."

"I see." Marlon frowned, turning back to Amber. "You...You're Princess Amber of Enchancia, right?" Amber nodded once more, finally finding her fan and fluttering it over her face.

Marlon's expression changed slightly, almost to that of slight anger or uncertainty, but then he only smiled with a chuckle. "I have to thank you for taking care of her when I couldn't."

"Oh, its no big issue!" Amber said proudly. "She really is such a sweet girl!" Her eyes looked away before they shot back to Marlon who held his arm out for her. He had a smile on her face, slowly urging the princess to hold his arm lightly.

"Let's head back inside, shall we?"

A/N : OMG ITS BEEN A WHILE!! I had online classes, but they ended just this week, so I will be able to post more now!

BTW, this chapter had a bit more different content, especially with the part of Marlon and Amber! My little sister wanted to see how they might fit as a pairing, so I did a little scene of them here! XDD