Chapter 27

Cassandra took small steps out of her carriage, still feeling a little light headed from the events earlier. She pulled on her sleeve, feeling a shiver as the wind blew past her. She didn't know why, but Fior didn't come with the carriage to pick her up this time. She worried that something must have happened to him, but she shelved her thoughts. Her mother was back now, after all. Maybe he was busy setting things up for the queen. She then steps out of the carriage, entering the empty halls as she looked around, a little scared. Normally Marlon or Fior would come out to greet her, but neither showed up.

"Cassandra, dear..."

She turned around, jerking slightly at the sudden voice she had heard. She was then relieved to see that it was just her mother.

"M-mom... Where's Marlon? What about Fior?"

Daphne looked to the side as if she were about to roll her eyes, then putting up a smile. "I believe Fiorello accompanied Marlon to visit Hugo's kingdom. I'll a little too weak to work out the details of the marriage, so..."

Cassandra pursed her lips. She wondered how she would tell her mother that she and Hugo wanted to call off the engagement. Just as she saw this expression, Daphne wrapped her fragile arms around her daughter, a small sob in her voice.

"My dear... I've missed you so much."

"Me too..." Cassandra leaned into the hug, feeling nostalgic as she felt what remaining warmth her mother could radiate.

"Do it for us, dear..." Daphne looked directly into the girl's eyes. Their orbs had the same purple shade, and both of their hair was the same raven color. "Our kingdom is dying because of Enchancia's abuse... please... please accept the arrangement."

Cassandra mumbled. She wanted to oppose, but felt her mouth sew shut with how her mother looked at her. She had sacrificed so much for her and Marlon, so what right did she have to say otherwise?

"Mother, I..."

((A/N: Sorry for the super short chapter! I just came back from a really long break from Wattpad, but I promise the next chapters will be back to normal!)