Chapter 8

James woke up to the soft knocking of Baileywick on his bedroom door. The boy rubbed his eyes softly, feeling the warmth of daylight on his skin.

He jumped up, a big smile on his face as usual. Putting on the spring green clothes he wore everyday, he headed down the halls with his sisters.

"Good morning, Sofia!" He grinned as Sofia smiled back. "Good morning, James." She walked faster to match his pace before continuing their conversation.

"You seem happy today." Sofia remarked, giving a small nod and smile to Baileywick who followed behind them. James continued to smile brightly, his cheeks flushing just the slightest bit.

"I'm actually planning to go somewhere today!"

"Will you be observing canons with Zander?" Amber opened her bedroom door, stepping out into the halls her other two siblings walked in. James laughed with excitement. "Yeah! It never gets boring!"

When the group had reached the dining hall for dinner, everything had seemed quite normal. King Roland was greeted by his family and errands from letters written by nobles and other Kings.

"Ah, excuse me." Baileywick adjusted his coat, bowing before taking a letter from the pile in the King's hands. "This one was addressed to Prince James."

Eyes turned to him, Amber simply scoffing and Sofia's eyes glimmering with slight curiosity. Roland glanced at the letter, seeming to jump at the sight of the seal.

A purple flower.

James swallowed the food he chewed and took the letter. His eyes lit up. "Its from Cassy!" Sofia smiled a little teasingly as he opened the letter.

Dear Prince James,

I'm very sorry about having to disturb you with a letter, but there are many things I want to thank you for. Sometimes, I believe it is too much to put into words.

A small smile crept up his lips, a warm feeling surrounding his chest.

You are probably the first real friend I've ever had...
I've always wanted a friend, but I couldnt get one. I understand that I'm not quite approachable, but I appreciate your positivity and friendliness.

Baileywick put a small box on the table. It had the same seal, a purple flower, and was tied up with a cute purple bow.

James reached out, slowly unwrapping it until something glimmered underneath. It was a small crystal chain of a canon.

I once overheard you and Zandar talking about visiting a canon exhibit going around. I'm not that much into them, but maybe we can go to something like that one day?

Miranda laughed and Roland smiled.

"By the way, James..." Roland put aside the tons of letters he was supposed to read. "How is your relationship with Princess Cassandra?" Amber seemed shocked at the wording of her father's sentence. "You make it sound like they're going out."

"Well, maybe they will be." Sofia giggled as James simply blushed. Roland whispered something to Baileywick as he walked off. "James, meet me after breakfast. There is something I need to discuss with you."

((A/N : Sorry for the late upload!! Also very VERY sorry for the short chapter :(( However, I do promise we look more into Cassandra's
backstory!

By the way, would you guys like to see more of cute scenes with James or sort of serious development that he helps Cassandra with? Comment below!!^^))