Chapter 23

James stood behind the school. It was the perfect scenery for his confession. His hair was fixed back, and he almost shivered at the memory of Amber vigorously combing it  to keep his hair in place. He ended up chuckling, trying to distract himself from the nervousness building up. He anxiously tap his feet against the marble flooring, holding a bouquet of purple and pink flowers, namely the Acanthus and the Chrysanthemum.

Amber had made a few remarks on how he should have bought the roses instead, but Sofia agreed with him. After all, Cassandra seemed the type to really love her home kingdom, and she often enjoyed looking at the Chrysanthemums of the school garden.

He heard a pair of light footsteps skipping across the stone pavement which lead to the spot James was standing in. He took a few more seconds to breath in, adjusting his tie and holding the bouquet lovingly in his hands.

James watched Cassandra in the distance, starting to feel embarrassed as he saw how she dressed so simple compared to him. Her hairstyle was as it was usually, a small purple bow at the back of her head, with her bangs swept to the side and her black locks falling past her shoulders. Her black heeled shoes clicked against the rocks, making her steps seem a lot louder as her purple skirt fell just below her knees, dancing with the wind as she moved.

Cassandra looked up at James as she got closer, a sweet smile brushing her face as she giggled at the sight of such formal attire. She stopped in front of him, looking down curiously at the flowers he held in his arms. She didn't ask, and instead waited for him to speak. James cleared his throat, holding out the flowers to her.

"So... Cassy..." He gulped, turning red as he forced himself to look directly at her.

'Eye contact, James. Eye contact. Amber will beat you if you mess this up.' He once again took a momeny to breathe as Cassandra smiled and took the flowers.

"They're lovely." She says, gently touching one of the Acanthus flowers as a petal broke off and fell onto her finger. James smiled genuinely, a strike of confidence filling his body.

"They're not as pretty as you."

James chuckled at his own statement, rubbing his neck as he felt himself die inside from saying such a corny thing.

Cassandra laughed with him, holding the flowers close to her. She looked back up at him, both of them feeling their hearts skip a beat as they stared into each other's eyes.

"James..."

Cass said softly, looking down as her hand was held slightly over her mouth in embarrassment.

"You know... I've admired you a lot. No, it became more than admiration... The way you smile no matter the situation, and how you laugh at the simplest of things..."

The girl looked back up at him. James moved closer, gently taking her hand with a smile and bringing it up. He was halfway into a bow, one as noble and charming as any knight could ever be. Cassandra's cheeks turned redder, a twinkle in her eyes as she felt his warmth through her gloves.

"I feel the same way, Cassy." He gently kisses her hand, then standing back up and looking at her with a smile. "I like you too."

"James, I..."

Cassandra's flace was flustered to the core. Her eyes were wide with shock, but also sparkled with a deep love and appreciation for the boy in front of her. She wanted to wrap her hands around her knight, but then...

She felt it.

She gasped. It got stronger. James looked at her in concern. Girls don't act like that when they're confessed to, right?

Cassandra bit her lip as her arms felt like they were churning from the immense pain she was starting to feel. She fell to her knees, clencing at her gloves. James fell beside her, gently holding her shoulders as he began to worry even further.

"Cassy, what's wrong?!" He asked in a raised voice, his eyes widening as he witnessed black markings crawl up her arm, past her white gloves.

"T-The...The c-curse..."

She muttered out, closing her eyes shut as she began to cry. James held her close, hugging her tight as he began to scream for help, praying that someone would come to their aid.

Cassandra's eyes begin to lose focus, her sight starting to fade to black. Just before she did so, she remembered this scene from before. She remembered someone reaching out to her as she fell off of her pegasus when she tried out for flying derby. It felt so similar to this.

The one who saved her was James, and now, he was here to help her once again.

The pain grew stronger as she recalled this, her body becoming limp in James' arms as her mind slowly drifted away.