Chapter 21

The next day after the coronation, and three Enchancian siblings sat outside during their break time. Amber went on and on about her short lived moment with the newly crowned King of Acanthus. James stared down at his food with a frown, taking a large bite and slowly chewing.

"The look in his eyes was just so...endearing! Don't you think, James?" Amber turned to him. "...James?" She looked back and forth between her brother and her sister. Sofia sighed lightly while James looked back at the two, raising an eyebrow in confusion.

"...What?" He asked, his cheeks still stuffed with food. "I'm eating!" James added, taking another bite despite his mouth still having food inside. Amber rolled her eyes from such sloppy eating habits from James, using a fork and a knife to carefully take her food into manageable pieces.

"You really won't confess to her?" Sofia said with a small frown, having already eaten half her food. "Even if you two can't be together... She can at least know."

"Exactly." Amber said, popping a small piece of her food into her mouth. James looked at his sisters, unsure, but then smiled cheekily.

"I'll confess to her if you confess to her brother."

Amber's face scrunched up in embarrassment, but also in irritation. Sofia giggled, setting her utensils down. "I'd say both of you confess! Besides James, what makes you think Cass won't say she likes you back?"

"And you, Sofia, should confess to Hugo." Amber grinned, lightly pinching Sofia's red cheeks. All three of them burst into laughter, continuing on with the teasing and the jokes.

~~~

Cassandra slowly made her way to an elegant pavillon where many of the other royals chose to eat. She didn't really eat during breaks, as she didn't usually have an appetite. She had a book tucked under her arm as she silently scanned the area, her eyes lighting up at the sight of her three friends.

"Hey, Cass!" Sofia called out, waving her arms to be seen better in the busy crowd. Cassandra smiled, slowly moving her way to their table when she felt an arm pat her shoulder playfully.

"Hugo!"

She gasped as Hugo smiled. The prince turned to the other three, waving his hand as well. They eventually reach the table, having a seat. Cassandra and James looked at each other awkwardly before gently smiling at the rest.

"Engagements are all the rage these days." Amber said followed by a small groan, rolling her eyes slightly. "Hildegard told me she was engaged to a son of a noble house in her kingdom. They're planning to meet up every week and spend time or something."

Cassandra fiddled with her gloves as Amber set her fork down before continuing.

"And you two?" She asked Hugo and Cass.

"...huh?"

"Your plans." Amber asked in curiosity. "Have your families planned something out? A date for marriage? Family meet ups? Dates?"

"I... I don't think Marlon told me anything... Mom didn't say anything either." Cassandra shrugged slightly, turning to Hugo who, on the other hand, seemed to have something in mind. She didn't ask further and simply looked down.

There were a few seconds of awkward silence before Sofia lightened the tense aura of the table.

"You two aren't going to eat?" She gestures to Cass and Hugo, seeing as her, Amber, and James had already finished theur food. Hugo gives a smile.

"Already ate. And Cassy... is on a diet?" He chuckled.

Cassandra smiled before laughing lightly. "I'm not on a diet, just not hungry." She gives another light shrug. She stops nervously fixing her gloves and simply rests her hands on her lap.

"Oh shush, Hugo. She doesn't need to diet, she's already pretty!" Amber shot Hugo down before Cass giggled. "So are you, Amber!"

"And so is Sofia." Hugo smiled genuinely as he looked at Sofia, her face blushing slightly. Amber grinned as Cassandra caught sight of James, who was lost in his own thoughts.

"James is the prettiest, though."

Cass said with a small smile as Amber, Hugo, and Sofia laughed at the joke. James blinked back to reality, smiling back at Cassandra before he loudly proclaimed, "Yeah, I'm the prettiest princess there is!"