Chapter 29

James whistled a happy tune as he got to cleaning some armor. He normally hated the task, but here he was, gleaming with happiness that no one else could match at the moment. Roland watched as he approached his son, a small smile on his face.

"James?"

"Ah!" He jumped a bit, having been snapped out of his own thoughts. The armor had nearly toppled over had he not been gripping it at that moment. "You need anything, Dad?"

"Yes, we need to talk again."

Roland's voice grew a bit cold. James knew that tone. That silent, serious tone. He stood, dusting off his clothes as he proceeded with a small smile. "Same topic as before, Dad?"

He nods, and James finishes with his task. "Is it about... Acanthus?"

"I'm afraid I haven't told you the whole story yet." He chuckles ever so slightly. "James, over the years... you've matured."

James frowned as he made the final arrangements to the armor. "What's that supposed to mean? Was I really annoyingly childish before?"

"Well..." Roland laughed. "I wouldn't put it that way, but let's just say that Amber was a little right."

James pouted, but couldnt help but laugh as he stood up. "I mean, I'm not a little kid anymore. I think it would be normal to mature a bit."

"And that's why I think I can tell you now, especially when I believe that you can help Acanthus."

James looked at the sky, clear and blue. Birds flew by every now and then, casting quick shadows over their heads as they passed. He looked back at his father, whose eyes were hopeful yet somehow desperate. James didn't want any sort of responsibility, which is why he rejected the idea of being King so much. However, he would always protect the kingdom and its people.

"The kingdom existed long ago, alongside many others." Roland began to speak, sitting under the humble wooden roof that sheltered James while he did his squire work. "Acanthus was one of them, and peace was always present."

"When storytellers say that, bad things always happen." James chuckled, sitting next to his dad. "So... what was the catch?"

"It didn't last long." Roland sighs. "It was from a fit of anger. Emotions can drive people to their best, but also to their worst."

There was a silence as James tried to predict what came next.

"Which is exactly why you should balance your logic and emotions!" Roland's tone suddenly changed, chuckling as he found a way to lecture James through the story he was telling.

"Dad!" James frowned. "Not now!"

~~~~~

A/N: Sorry for super short chapter! I just had to put something out to make sure y'all don't think I'm dead XD Next one will be longer~