Chapter 10

'Come on, Cass...You can do this.'

Cassandra said with a small sigh, looking at the small cake she had baked with the help of Fiorello.

Her butler/best friend told her that she should maintain her friendship with James by giving him gifts. Cass had her doubts about this, but she had no reason to question Fiorello.

After casting away her doubts, she made her way to the stables where the flying derby usually was in.

She tied a cute lavender cloth to keep the cake in, but nearly dropped it when she heard a voice behind her.

"Looking for someone?"

Cassandra turned behind her, seeing the face of the proud Prince Hugo. She gulped and hid the cake behind her back, bowing a bit in politeness.

"I-I..."

Hugo caught sight of the wrapped gift, leaning to his side with a smile, thinking it was for him. "There's no need to be shy, you know?"

Cassandra trembled in nervousness, losing all acts of speaking and mumbling her words.

"Cassandra!"

She jumped once again, but this time relaxed immediately after. She saw a familiar hue of purple on a girl who waved in her direction.

"S-S-Sofia..!" Cass immediately waved back and rushed over to her friend's side, not wanting to be within range of Hugo's stare.

"Anything you need?" Sofia asked with a gentle smile as Cass did her best to hide the wrapped cake. She didnt want to admit to anyone what she was doing, and at this point, she was cracking under anxiety.

"Flying derby!" She blurted. "I'm going to--uh...uhm..."

Sofia and Hugo exchanged looks.

"Try out...? Yes! Try out!"

Cassandra was red from embarrassment, but then turned blue after realizing what she had just said.

"You influence a lot of people, huh Sofia?" Hugo said and nudged the Enchancian princess who smiled in excitement. "That's great! Let's get you a uniform and a horse, and then we'll get to teaching you!"

--------

"Uh...are the uniforms normally this skimpy?"

Cassandra asked Sofia as she held her long hair up in a messy bun. She had trouble doing her hair herself, but her current hairstyle was enough to keep her hair out of the way.

"Comfortable, right?" Sofia giggled, handing Cassandra a helmet. "Don't be too nervous, Cass. It gets easy after some practices!"

Sofia helps her wear the protective gear before giving her a different pair of gloves. "You should change your gloves to these as well. It helps grip stuff better."

Cassandra looked to her gloves then back to the ones Sofia were handing out to her. She took them gently, but only nodded. "I'll change into these later."

Sofia found it a bit suspicious, but didn't question. She somehow already knew that it might be something a little too sensitive for them to talk about.

--------

"The new girl? Definitely into me." Hugo said with a chuckle, fastening his own gear.

The princes simply rolled their eyes, basically immune to whatever Hugo would blabber about. It wasn't that he was annoying or a bad person, but he definitely vain and egotistical.

"You say that about every princess." Khalid remarked as James blinked, trying to pull the pieces together.

"The new girl? You mean Cassy?" James asked in curiosity, pulling his boots on as Hugo thought for a second before nodding.

"Yeah, I think." Hugo gave James a bit of a look, as if already accusing him of something. "Anyways, she wants to try out the flying derby, and I'm gonna help her."

James stumbled. "Cassy's trying out?"

"Jealous?" Hugo teased, getting up and stretching for a bit as he prepares for practice. James shakes his head. "I just...didn't expect it, I guess."

"The new girl...that one's the real quiet one right?"

"Yeah. Tried talking to her a few times, but I guess she doesn't really like people."

"She's trying out for the flying derby though, guess she has an extremeist side somewhere."

The other princes spoke before returning to preparing for practice.