Chapter 28

"Do it for us, dear..." Daphne looked directly into the girl's eyes. Their orbs had the same purple shade, and both of their hair was the same raven color. "Our kingdom is dying because of Enchancia's abuse... please... please accept the arrangement."

Cassandra mumbled. She wanted to oppose, but felt her mouth sew shut with how her mother looked at her. She had sacrificed so much for her and Marlon, so what right did she have to say otherwise?

"Mother, I..."

Just before Cassandra could speak, the doors opened, and both Marlon and Fiorello entered, catching the young princess' attention as she pulled away from her mother to greet them.

"I'm back, Mother."

Marlon looked at Daphne, and the two began to glare at each other in a way that was unthinkable between a mother and son. Cassandra noticed this tension, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion before burying her face as she hugged her brother.

"Marlon." Daphne grit her teeth slightly, but maintained a smile. "You're back early."

Marlon kept glaring at his mother, one quite angered. He smiled as he looked down at Cassandra, not wanting to look at Daphne any longer.

"The engagement was called off."

Both of the ladies looked up at him.

"Eh?" Cassandra blinked.

"What..." Daphne growled under her breath. "But... why..."

"It appears the young Prince Hugo was not informed about the engagement, and ask it get called off."

Cassandra looked to Fior, then Marlon, then her mother. This was all happening a little too quickly for her to follow. Daphne scoffed, adjusting the expensive fur coat draped around her arms.

"The prince has no say in his marriage. His parents make the final decision."

Daphne raised an eyebrow, glaring daggers into the two men. However, Marlon was no longer scared to glare back at her.

"Fior, you're a horrible liar." Marlon chuckled as Fior blushed a bit in embarrassment. He's never really had to lie before, especially not to the Queen's face.

"I called it off."

Marlon said, putting a hand on Cassandra's shoulder. The girl was shocked the entire time, her mouth open as they spoke. Daphne looked at Cass, and she jumped in slight fear. Marlon gave her a small smile, and the girl took in a small breath. She never had the opportunity to speak up before, but after seeing her own brother stand on his own two feet, it was quite... inspiring.

"T-thank you..."

She nods, returning the smile to both Marlon and Fior. Daphne clenched her fist, her veins beginning to pop up more and more as the black markings on her arm grew up her body.

"M-mother, your curse!" Cassandra called out. Despite the fear in her heart, she still loved her. Daphne, however, felt betrayed. She pushed her own daughter away, forcing herself back up on her feet.

"How could you..." She had a low growl in her voice as well as anger in her eyes. "Cassandra, after everything I've done for you, you would push me away like this?!"

"M-mother, I would never--!"

"Enough!"

Daphne yelled once more, her face growing paler as her curse outdid her own strength. Fior silently nodded to Cass, assuring her that he would take care of the Queen. The princess simply nodded back, looking up at her older brother. He looked... different, and no, it wasn't just the fancy outfits and the neat hair... it was the look in his eyes.

"Marlon..."

Cassandra watched as Fior whisked their mother back to her room to rest.

"...Do you hate Mother?" She looked down to her feet. She didn't know what to make of her situation right now.

"No, I don't."

Marlon shook his head, letting out a soft sigh as his eyes closed. He was deep in thought, even for someone who spent their life trying to be quick and calculating.

"I find it hard to... No matter what I find out about her, no matter what she's done, I can't bring myself to do so. However..."

He looked directly at Cassandra. He was around a foot taller than her, and so he came off looking like a tower built to defend it's kingdom. And as swiftly as a pegasus soaring through the sky, the feeling of the air turned into one honorable and formal.

"I am the King of Acanthus now. Father, Grandfather, and everyone before them did everything to build this kingdom up. Even if Mother herself poses a threat, I have to...stand against it..."

His tone slightly faltered as he spoke, as if he had lingering regrets in his mind. Cassandra giggled, popping up on her tip-toes as a sad attempt to reach his height.

"Ew, you sound really old now."

The two ended up bursting in laughter. Cassandra knew that her overworked brother needed it. He was so stern and serious nowadays, and he deserved more than just boring paperwork.

However, like a fleeting summer's day, not everything can remain hopeful.

After letting out a few breaths of laughter, she felt a sharp pain in her arm. That pain then moved up to her chest, causing the girl to let out a rather strong cough. The curse would take hold of her happiness once again. Cassandra felt herself slip away from her own consciousness. The last thing she saw that day was Marlon's face shifting from gleaming positivity, to absolute horror.