3am

Chapter 16| 3am

oh at 3am I go up to the roof
and I talk back to the moon
- 3am, Tate Mcrae

Kaycee

Have you ever been to IHOP at 1
1am with a group of dancers that have been up since 5 in the morning?

Well let me tell you, it's chaos. And also possibly the best thing to happen to you.

Tahani could barely keep her eyes open and kept falling asleep on her pancakes.

Julian and Josh were cracking jokes and asking random questions at any time they could and Bailey was lecturing all of them.

"IHOP's pancakes are good and all but I hope it I hop's like a bunny."

"Tahani! Stop trying to eat your pancakes if you can't keep your eyes open!"

"Wzhast aasre yhdo talkinz bout? I'm nozt sleeby......"

I was making sure to record it all for potential blackmail.

Over to the side, Sean was strangely quiet. He was fiddling with his pancakes and had a distant look on his face.

"Guys, I think we should go home and rest. We've all had a long day." I say loudly.

Everyone's attention turned to me and slowly, they nodded in agreement. We made sure to order all four of them an Uber before making our way to Sean's car.

"I think I should drive. You look like you need some rest" I say.

Sean stares at me with the 'are you kidding me' look and shakes his head. "Are you even old enough to drive?"

"I have a driver's permit!" I add defensively.

"That requires someone over the age of 18 to supervise. Besides, if you drive I'm still gonna have to drive myself home."

"Fine!" I huff in annoyance and get in the passenger seat as Sean closes the door for me.
...

Sean

I knew Kaycee was just trying to help but no matter what she said, she was tired too.

With everything that happened, I was overwhelmed with my emotions and just wanted to lie in my bed.

We made our way home and Kaycee seemed to have fallen asleep. I played some quiet, calming music as my fingers drummed to the beat on the steering wheel.

I heard Kaycee sigh ever so softly and suddenly there was a hand in mine.

With the music playing gently, our hands intertwined and the car cruising smoothly down the highway, I finally felt at peace.

That night when I reached home at 3am, I didn't have to stare at the moon to fall asleep soundly.
...
Just as I finished this chapter, the clock turned twelve and the Diwali fireworks started in my neighbourhood.

Happy Diwali to my friends who celebrate it :)

( this was pre written a few days ago )