unexpected

Sean

Unlocking the front door, I let Kaycee into my house. I brought her here to taste the desserts that I made before class. I needed and unbiased opinion to tell me how they tasted and Kaycee was my best choice.

Kaycee went for a quick shower as I took the desserts out of the fridge and made my final touches  to it.

From upstairs, I heard the thudding of my dog Oreo's little feet followed by Kaycee's voice.

Just in case, I went to check-up on her and found her freshly showered, kneeling on the floor stroking Oreo affectionately.

"You didn't tell me you had a dog?! It's adorable what's it's name?!" Kaycee cooed.

I chuckled softly. "His name is Oreo." I replied.

"We got him after mom died." I added softly.

Kaycee's head shot up and she shot me a look of sympathy.

"It's fine, I'm fine as long as you don't look at me like that." I say casually slotting my hands in the pockets of my sweatpants.

"Anyways c'mon, let's get to why you're here."
...
"So, I needed someone to help taste test my desserts and I chose you."

"Wow I'm so honored that I get to be a judge of the Sean Lew's baking skills." Kaycee chided, eyeing the desserts hungrily.

I rolled my eyes and explained the two desserts. One was a red velvet cookie with a cream cheese filling in the middle and the other was a simple creme brulee with fresh fruits infused and topped onto it.

Kaycee tasted them as I waited impatiently for her feedback. Even back then on chopped junior, I hated this part. I hated allowing people to judge you and the possibility of someone disliking all your effort and hard work.

She made hums of approval (hopefully) and placed her fork down carefully.

Kaycee made sure to clean her mouth agonizingly slow before adding her comments "Well, Sean I really don't know what to say."

I threw my arms up in frustration at her reply. "What do you mean? Is that good or bad? No, wait, they're really bad aren't they? Gosh, I knew that I shouldn't have taken on this task, I knew it would be impossible!"

Admist my anguish, Kaycee started laughing and by laughing I mean she laughed so hard she almost forgot to breathe while I was forgetting to breathe too.

After awhile, she managed to calm down and she said "Sean, chill. I'm just joking, it's actually really good. Although I do thinking the cookie is a tad sweet for my liking, but it's actually really good."

I looked at her in confusion, I was still lost in my emotions and certainly had not calmed down.

Seeing my distraught, Kaycee walked towards me and placed her hands on my shoulder and snapped me back to reality.

"Sean. It was good okay, don't stress yourself out too much about this. You know your potential and you know that you can do this. You just need to believe in yourself and all your challenges will be easier."

Hearing her words somehow managed to calm me down and I felt a weight lifted off my shoulders as I took in what she said.

My shoulder sagged slowly and I nodded in agreement. "You're right, I'm sorry. I'm just really stressed cause my cousin asked me to bake for his wedding dinner and I just felt a lot of pressure to make it perfect for his special day."

"It's alright Shamu, no one is perfect all we can do is try."

"Back when my mom still had her studio, I always felt that I needed to be the best to make my mom proud and to live up to everyone's expectation since my mom was the owner and all. It got so bad that when the studio closed down, I felt kinda lost. It took awhile for me to realise why  I started dancing in the first place but once I did, I started improving more day by day." Kaycee added truthfully.

For once, Kaycee stepped out of her happy and bubbly self and I saw a different side of her. A side that showed she had challenges too. A side that we all had. The side we want to keep from the world and shelter it so people couldn't judge, assume and pick it apart.

She allowed me to see that side of her just to make me feel better.

And that pulled me closer to her.
...
Originally, I wanted to take this chapter in a lighter direction but this happened. So ya, hope you enjoyed!