Chapter 21.

Nikolai holds the door open for me and I slide into the back seat, Jillian takes shotgun and we both nod to one another as Nikolai makes his way to the driver's side. As soon as he sits down and starts the car I tap him on the shoulder.

"Ok story time"

"Spill the tea Nikolai" Jillian cracks up

"Seriously zaika, can't it wait?"

He stares at me through the rearview mirror for a moment and rolls his eyes.

"Ok well Ivan is the oldest Romanoff but he mostly stays in Russia until recent events. Ivan pretty much ran the Russian mob in actual Russia and my father Viktor was in charge of New York. Nadei was the underboss for both basically, their younger brother Misha. He was never really involved except for small business ventures. But that was until about 5 years ago, he changed, he wanted power, he became money hungry all because.....because of someone's a bad influence. When he started trying to bring down his brothers they took a stand against giving him an ultimatum his new lifestyle or his family."

Nikolai lights a cigarette and I don't protest, he takes a few puffs as he starts to drive.

"There's more to the story I don't care to say, in time Nadei will tell you. But after the big family rift, Ivan decided to retire and be with his family. My father took over Russia leaving Nadei the only one to take over New York. And here we are."

We sit in silence for a few minutes, my mind still processing everything Nikolai said. I can hear the pain in his voice, he tries to divert his eyes and I know there's more to the story.

"Sooo....you and Aleksander then where do you two stand?" I try to change the subject.

"We were trained as future leaders and warriors. And seeing as Nadei has no children, currently, Aleksander is set to take over for my father and me for Nadei"

Nikolai looks at me through the rearview mirror again and I fidget a little. I never even thought about that, I just always thought he was the boss and will always be the boss.

Would he want to retire? Settle down start a family? He's 40 years old does he even want children? Do I want children? Holy fuck. So many questions running through my mind.

I look back to Nikolai who is steadily driving with a cigarette hanging from his lips.

Does Nikolai want to become a boss one day? Fuck. I have so many questions running through my mind.

•••••••
Nadei Point of View

"Viktor must you show up at my home unannounced" my brother Viktor, also such a pain in the ass. We are both grown men, but he still reminds me I'm his little brother.

I groan as he sits in my chair leaning back, putting his feet up on my fucking desk.

"What's wrong brother scared your little treasure might run off with the hotter Romanoff." He wickedly smirks at me as he talks about moya printsessa. "I saw the way she smiled at me, she thinks I'm hot."

"Father how old are you? Because you're sounding like a frat boy right now"

Viktor scuffs his son off, I walk towards my desk and push his feet off my desk. He rolls his eyes up at me and I smile down.

"Be careful how to talk about my woman Viktor. Or should I remind you about the last time you lusted after one of your brothers' girls?" I poke the tiny scar about his left eyebrow "Ivan was not too happy when you drunkenly tried to kiss his wife was he?"