Chapter Fifty-Four ↡ Article

Chapter Fifty-Four ↡ Article #16

Princess Lucia Officially Announces Her First Royal Patronages

The organizations chosen highlight her passions from accessible education to animal welfare.

The past year has been full of firsts for the Duchess of Avondale, and today, she took a huge step forward in her role as a working member of the royal family.

This morning, Lucia announced that she is to become the patron of eighteen charities: London Symphony Orchestra, Great Ormond Street Hospital, NSPCC, Accrington Camera Club, Capability Scotland, Cornwall Rugby Football Union, Friends of the Royal Scottish Academy of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture, Chartered Society of Designers, Junior British Red Cross Society, Help the Aged, Commonwealth Society for the Deaf, Action Medical Research, National Children's Orchestra, Foundation for Conductive Education, Young Women's Trust, Savera UK and Plan International.

"Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Avondale will become Patron of eighteen organisations that reflect the causes and issues with which she has long been associated including the arts, access to education, support for women, children and animal welfare," reads the official announcement.

It also clarified that three of the patronages would be given to her by the Queen and several given to her by the Duke of Edinburgh and the rest would be entirely new.

The organizations chosen clearly represent Lucia's interests, and help to set the tone for kind of philanthropic work the Duchess plans to take on over the course of her lifetime.

Murphy also sees the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh's decision to give Lucia several of their patronages as an "endorsement" of her work thus far.

"I think the fact that several of Lucia's patronages have been given to her by the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh so early on in her royal career-especially ones that the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh has held for a very long time-is definitely an endorsement of Lucia's work within the family."

Lucia's patronages announcement comes a week after her fairytale royal wedding to Antony.

Comparatively, Kate Middleton's first royal patronage was announced in October 2011, and saw her join her husband and brother-in-law at The Royal Foundation. Coming six months after her fairytale royal wedding to Prince William, it marked the first of many royal patronages for Catherine.

While, Meghan's first royal patronage was announced eight months after she married Prince Harry on May 19, 2018.

Today, Lucia visited one of her new patronages, Plan International, for the first time publicly.