Dyslexia

age: 12
warning: I personally do not have dyslexia, so i don't really know what it's actually like so i'm just going off my basic knowledge i have of it. Sorry if this offends anybody!

You have recently found out about "the family business" and you constantly bug your brothers to let you help. Of course they would never let you hunt but today they gave in and let you help research. They gave you a lore book and asked you to help find out more about Ghouls. Let's just say reading and you do not mix well. Ever since you were little reading was always an issue to you, you feel you should say something to your brothers but you don't want to trouble them anymore. Now here you are trying to read a lore book, which has bigger and more complicated words then people see in normal day life. You've been staring at the first sentence of the book for 5 minutes, rereading it trying to make sense of it. The letter just swirl together on the page. After the 6th time you think you got it. 'Ghouls eat human flesh and blood.' you smile at yourself for being able to figure that out. Now for the rest of page one...you sigh, this going to take a long time. You continue to try to make out the next lines, squinting your eyes hoping that'll help focus. Dean looked up at you.

"You ok kiddo?" Dean asked. You look up at him and gave a small smile.

"Yea Dean, this is more boring then I thought" you lied

"Welcome to our world" Sam said and gave you a smile which you returned.

"So Yn, did you find out how to weaken a ghoul yet?" Dean asked.

"Umm..." you started look at him. panic set in. You've been staring at this book for 7 minutes and only got one sentence read. ".....Yea you weaken a ghoul by....." you glance down at the letter mixing on the page and letters flying off the page. you are able to make out the word 'weaken' so you put your finger on it and try to make out the next word ".....by...um...ba....eh...da...umm" Sam walks over to help you out thinking it's a hard word but is shocked when he sees the words you can't pronounce.

".....bashing their heads in" Sam finishes the sentence for you with a worried look on his face. you just shuffle awkward and look down at your hands embarrassed.

"Yn.." Dean started and you looked up at him, "..stop joking around, this is a serious matter people are dying. Seriously you can't read the word bashing? what do you want to go back to the first grade?...." he teased "so please if you don't want to help, just say so" Dean finished.

"Yea...i was joking. maybe this hunting thing isn't for me, like I said it's boring." I said tears brimming in your eyes. no one noticed, well so you thought. Yes Deans words hurt but it was a perfect scapegoat to leave. You got up and went to your room.

—————

Left at the table was an annoyed Dean and a disappointed Sam, not in you but in Dean. Sam noticed you were on the verge of tears.

"Dean, I need to tell you something" Sam said

"What" Dean replied coldly.

" i've been noticing something about Yn recently" Sam paused and Dean made a 'go on' motion with his hands. "Well I think she might have this thing called dyslexia"

"Dyslexia? what's that?"

"Its hard to explain but it's basically a learning disability where it's difficult for a person to read. They often mix up letters that are similar like b and d. They are many other symptoms but that's the main one."

"I doubt she has that, she said she was joking remember."

"Come on Dean, it makes sense. ever since she was little she was always had trouble with reading. I thought she just needed to get older like it was just a little kid thing but now I think she has this. Also not to mention when you yelled at her earlier she almost cried."

Deans face tense, he felt so guilty. He almost made is babygirl cry. "I was such a jerk, I didn't know. I'm going to go apologize." Dean said has he got up and made his way to your room.

—————

Meanwhile back when you shut your bedroom door you broke down. You slid down the wall, put your head in your knees and sobbed.

"God, get a hold of yourself" you mumbled to yourself. You got up and walked over to the mirror and stared at yourself hating what you saw. Your face was red and stained with tears.

"You're pathetic! you can't read the most simplest words! GOD WHY ARE YOU SO STUPID!" you yelled at yourself in the mirror. "for crying out loud it's the word bashing, spelled B-A-S-H-I-N-G and you can't read it! stupid! stupid! STUPID!" you scream as tear cascade down your face. you grab a book off your dresser that you've slowly been reading for the past week. you open it to a page and look at the words in front of you. Tears cloud your vision which makes it harder to read and frustrates you further. You start tearing up the pages of the book while you are constantly sobbing. Then you felt two strong arms wrap around you and pull you close to them. You fight the person trying to get away but they were too strong.

"Shh Ynn it's ok, drop the book." Dean says as he pries the book from your grasp. He was able to get you to let go of the book and he dropped it to floor. You continue to cry. "Yn i'm going to need you to calm down ok?" you nod sniffing and Dean pulls away but grips your shoulder so your arms length away from him. "Munchkin what's wrong?" he asked you.

"I'm stupid D, i...reading is hard, I can't do it sometimes" you say and look down at the ground.

"Baby girl look at me" Dean said as he lifts your chin up "You are not stupid, you're one of the brightest, sweetest caring girls I know. About earlier i'm sorry, i had no idea you were having such a hard time reading i should of noticed earlier."

"It's ok Dean, I just don't know if there is anything helping me."

"Of course there is! i mean we are winchesters after all, We stoped the apocalypse!" Dean smiled and you laughed a little.

"Yea i guess you're right....but what do we do?"

"Well Sam actually noticed that you had a little reading problem and did some research like the little nerd he is. There is a learning disorder called Dyslexia."

"Dyslexia?"

"Yea um let me go get Sam to explain it." Dean left the room and moments later came back with Sam. Sams face softened when we say you and immediately hugged you.

"I'm sorry sweetheart, i wish i saw something sooner" Sam said

"It's ok Sam" you say.

"I know Dean told you that we think you have dyslexia but i need to tell me, when you read do you ever mix up letters that look similar?" Sam asked

"Yea i guess i do and sometimes it looks like the letters are mixing up on the page. It's dumb"

"It's not dumb Yn, dyslexia affects many people it's pretty common. Don't worry about it anymore ok? Dean and I will help you get better at reading."  you nod and Sam has an idea "Hey how about we go take a break form researching and watch a movie"

"Yea that sounds good" you smiled. The boys left you to get changed into comfy clothes while they set up the movie area. You guys decided on a comedy movie Identity Theft. During the movie Sam kept saying the lady in the movie looks familiar and asked us if we recognized her but Dean and I said no. Eventually your head was on Deans chest and his hand somehow made its way to your hair lulling you to sleep. You are very lucky to have these two big goods that love and care for you so much.