six

The kids that played soccer on the green field .The joy that emanated from the way they flung their legs on the spheric object ,kicking and running to aim a goal.

The thundering sound from the grey clouds above already was a warning of the incoming storm. The blistering wind that carried every material in its reach ,papers --water proofs and even the cloths of people stung to their bellies as they tried to move forwards to their destinations .The sound of the rain from afar sent the quarrelling women in the markets to let out their cellophanes as protections from the heavy rain .They pushed the basins of Garri or Beans further to avoid the cursing rain to soak it to uselessness .

The children had begun to run ,the mothers had begun to shut their windows so it wouldn't wet their already mopped parlours .

The sounds had begun ,the sounds of music ,the rain had begun to beat the drums on the iron zincs ,the wind had begun to whistle and by now ?--The children had begun to dance.

It was gonna give them a fever ,

It was gonna make them cough and complain of an awful catarhh ,

But they didn't care ,the joy was all that mattered.

That same joy that was found in the hearts of the boys on the field ,that same joy warms the heart of these children as they dance and laugh.

They laugh and giggle as the cool waters drop on their hairs to their foreheads leaking to their lips and falling from their chins .

These naked children run--they run and pull out their wedgies and spit saliva from their mouths. They bend down and pick up wet clays and squish them with their hands only to feel the soft feeling between their fingers ,to laugh about it.

The yelling of the market women who left their juicy gossip to scream at a naked black boy .They shooed him from their shops as he kept a face down in shame and somewhat embarrassment .His tears warmed the hearts of an old lady as she called him into her small airy shop for warmth.

He was given rags to wear on his skin as she handed him a bread . The joy that grew on his black face inflating his cheeks in the process.

"You're helping this thief !!--did you know that the other day --"

Bam!!--they began ,their voices louder than the thunderous rain itself as they spoke to the poor woman .She wasn't listening as she tried to console the almost crying boy beside her .

"You will not listen now !!--Until you will be looking for the witch in your family _it's because of these thief's you help everywhere who don't deserve to live --" she continued ,sucking her teeths in the process as she eyed the dirty boy on the floor .

So much hate for so much pain .

The reasons for his actions where unknown and still he was hated by all--.

Love --

That love that emanated from the boys on the field --

The love from the children in the rain--he'd lost that love,he'd searched for it ,he'd tried --but the words of these market women sent his heart squeezing.

Blood rushing to his insides and staining his intestine's feeding his guilt with joy as his pain cascaded through his veins leaving him in a fit of unbearable tears.

The woman rushed to console him but he was out of her reach in seconds as he fled from the shop ...

It only took two headlight's to shine on his wet face --

It only took a loud horn to cook up the adrenaline in him--

It only took a second and he was flying in the air --landing on the concrete floor with a bloody head as the truck drove by him as fast as it could as though nothing had even happened .

As though he was waste .

The old woman covered her mouth with her frail hands as she ran with slow steps to the scene .People had begun to gather as they folded their hands and some held their hands on their heads but non going near the dead body --

None going to help the dying boy.

She pushed them aside as she laid just beside him shedding tears from her eyelids ,she took off her head tie ,her wrapper loosing from her waist.

" Love " she thought.

All he needed was just a little Love

All he needed was that joy--

All he wanted was to be happy.

Word count : 763