:lying

D A Y T H R E E
ᴵᶠ ʸᵒᵘ ᵗᵉˡˡ ⁱᵍ ᵒᵘᵍʰ ˡⁱᵉ ᵗᵉˡˡ ⁱᵗ ᶠʳᵉqᵘᵉᵗˡʸ ᵒᵘᵍʰ, ⁱᵗ ʷⁱˡˡ ᵇᵉ ᵇᵉˡⁱᵉᵛᵉᵈ

When Ethan stirred August's film had finished and she'd slid down the bed cuddling into her own blanket almost drifting herself.

"Hey" Ethan said groggily across the bed which made August smile at his softness, she rubbed her cheek into the softness of her pillow and replied,

"Hi"

He rubbed his eyes to wake himself up and glanced around the room and finally landed back on August who was anxiously awaiting for him to say something to her.

"We're you okay?" He questioned and her words choked in the back of her throat, no one ever asked if she was okay.

"Yeah I stayed away from my phone, so that's good, right?" August knew how stupid she sounded, she so badly wanted to impress this stranger that she wasn't going on her phone and offering him her own bed.

"Look at you go" he chuckled raising his arm limply for a high-five which August took gratefully. As their hands connecting in the clap, Ethan instinctively threaded their fingers together.

He didn't mean to, it's just a thing he always did with his sister, but it made August's cheeks burn red.

"So now I'm awake" Ethan coughed awkwardly pulling his hand from the girl "shall we talk?" August nodded laying her head on both her hands.

Ethan introduces himself that time much more detailed, with his middle name and his age. He explained that he was a twin and that he also had a sister and not to forget the parrot.

It's when it came to August that things got darker, at first she tried to apply a fake smile and began the story of a fake family that she didn't have but Ethan saw her falter.

"It's a bad habit to lie" Ethan whispered across the bed and August looked down at her fingers, bringing her thumb up to her teeth to chew on it.

Ethan reached across the bed and slowly pulled her hand away from her mouth to stop her from chewing on it.

"I don't really have anyone" she finally hissed in a sad tone and she hated that she had to say it. Ethan instead of saying anything just held onto her hand and ran a thumb over it.

"No family?" He questioned.

"Orphan" she responded rather bluntly and Ethan nearly gasped but kept himself from doing so "I don't have friends either, I can't really keep them" she laughed and the boy shook his head.

"Why not?" He honestly couldn't believe that she had absolutely no one in her life, he thought that there must be at least someone there in Hawaii for her but he darent pray for information she obviously didn't want to share.

"Too many bad habits I guess" she smirked towards him and Ethan let go of a hearty chuckle.

"Well count me in as a friend, Grayson too, he's anyone's friend if you listen to him talk about building for long enough" Ethan admitted with a big smile and the girl although had previously felt so low about explaining, suddenly felt just a little lighter.

"Shouldn't you get back to your brother?" She asked and Ethan flashed her clock a glance and decided that maybe she was right.

August walked him to the veranda as usual and before he swung himself away he nodded towards the counter that held her phone on.

"Next time we hang we'll take some photos, change that screen from black, okay?"

The thoughtfulness caused August's heart to flutter and she had to stop herself from doing a dance in the spot.

"Sounds good" she smirked and Ethan mirrored it before he began to climb down and then he disappeared leaving August in a complete daze.