:chewing gum

D A Y S E V E N
ᴮᵉ ˢᵘᶜᶜᵉˢˢᶠᵘˡ ⁱˢ ᵃᵇᵒᵘᵗ ᵖʳᵒᶠᵉˢˢⁱᵒᵃˡⁱˢᵐ, ᶜʰᵉʷ ᵍᵘᵐ ⁱˢ ᵖʳᵒᶠᵉˢˢⁱᵒᵃˡ.

The sky had gone dark around half six which was early but not surprising for the time of year. The boys had already set up a big fire on the beach and everyone was already there.

Everyone apart from August.

"Dude where's your Hawaiian princess" teased one of the boys to Ethan who was anxiously looking around the beach and back up to her hut that had all the lights shut off.

After contemplation he decided to head up to fetch her but for the first time ever he went to her front door, it was weird being that side of her hut. In fact it made Ethans heart pound.

He knocked at the door and waited with baited breath, seconds felt like minutes and minutes felt like hours.

And then the door opened to reveal August, she wore a skinny dress with spaghetti straps and her hair naturally fell over her shoulders.

She was noticeably chewing upon a piece of gum, a trait she had when she was anxious.

"Well? Are you going to join us?" Ethan questioned towards the girl who nervously played with the ends of her hair.

She didn't like people, she hated her job too but at least then she was in charge and she had a purpose.

"Is there a lot of people there?" She questioned and Ethan chuckled, reaching out to tickle her.

"Miss August Abbot is not shy is she?" He teased and she shook her head and went back into her house, but Ethan followed "I've been meaning to ask if you were an orphan how do you have a last name"

The girl shook her head as she spun round to face the intrigued boy.

"I lived with a family in New Jersey, I took their last name and voila" she paused and cocked her head "now will you answer my question"

Ethan rubbed his chin to think about it, bobbed his head as if he was contemplating it and then shook his head.

"Guess you'll just have to see" he smirked reaching out to grab her hand and pull her along with him "don't worry they'll love you"

August scoffed at his comment and yet still allowed him to pull her along with him, the door locking behind them as he comfortably linked their fingers together.

She took a deep breath and began to chew the gum more aggressively to calm her nerves.

"Hey August" he whispered in her ear as they approached the beach "chewing gums a bad habit"

She wanted to tell him to fuck off, in fact it was on the tip of his tongue but she bit it and instead rolled her eyes allowing him to lead her towards the flickering fire.