Chapter 37 - The Betrayal

Disclaimer: There will be violent references below. Reader discretion is advised. 

Aria's POV

"Aria, I asked you what you are doing?"

"Rubes, it's not what it looks like," I said to her, placing the file on the desk. 

"Oh, really? Then, please enlighten me on what it looks like. Because right now I see you holding a very confidential file pertaining to Dom's business, one that you shouldn't know how to access in the first place." I could hear the vexation in Ruby's voice as she placed her hand over her gun in its holster. 

"Rubes, I need you to please trust me. Please..." I pleaded with her, my hands still in the air.

"Ruby? Did you find the source of the noise we heard?" Marcel's voice resonated from the foyer. 

Ruby was silent for a while, staring at me. Looking in my eyes, my face then at the file on the desk. I felt a tear run down my right cheek, a tear I wasn't aware of being present. Ruby noticed it too, which made her reply to Marcel.

"Nope. There's nothing here, buddy." She said with her eyes still on mine.

"Ok, good. I'm turning in. I will check you in the morning." Marcel began walking up the stairs. 

"Sure thing. Goodnight." Ruby waited until we heard Marcel's footsteps leave the stairs and make it into the hallway. "You have 5 minutes." She instructed me. 

I nodded, then placed my index finger upon my lips. I would rather not take the chance of being overheard. I grabbed a pen and a piece of paper from Dom's desk and printer. I wrote on it, summarizing the important details for Ruby. Once done, I walked over to her with the file in my hands. I handed her the paper which she took while eyeing out the file.

I watched her as she read over the contents of the paper. Her eyes widened as she read more of it. When she had finished she snapped her gaze up at me. She was searching my eyes for answers, any doubt or hints of false truths. Upon realizing there were none, she folded the paper, placed it into her pocket and closed the space between us. She hugged me, placing her lips by my ear.

"Be careful, Aria. Fight back, sweet cheeks. I will find you! I've got you." she whispered. 

With that, she released me, nodded her head and made her way out of the office. She looked around the foyer and up the stairs. She gave me a signal that it was all clear. I quietly made my way through it to the back door. Andrea told me about a secret exit in the garden so as not to be seen by the guards on duty. Once on the open road, I made my way towards the gas station. I placed the file inside my hoodie, while my hands were in the front pocket and I had the hood over my head. I kept count of my breathing, trying to keep myself at a calm plateau. 

I could see the gas station ahead of me, one light flickering and the other dimmed. There was a single car there and the only clear lighting was coming from its headlights, pointed in my direction which obscured my vision of the driver. I made my way to the car and stood in front of it. The headlights flashed at me, then the engine revved. This is it. I went to the passenger side, opened the door and sat inside the car. Before closing the door I noticed the driver. 

"Tony..." I whispered. 

"Nice to see you again, malishka (baby)." I felt the air around me closing in. 

No! I will not let this consume me again. I closed my eyes and took a few deep breaths. I opened them and saw that famous menacing grin of his as he watched me. I cleared my throat before speaking.