Chapter Twenty-two

Thai was set out on the coffee table in our dorm room, Lana's favorite. I had asked Grayson to ask Derek to hang out with him tonight. I wanted to talk to Lana and I knew that she would be with Derek if I didn't have Grayson's help, which he agreed to help me.

Lana was out buying a few things for her skiing trip, so I had some time to sit around and think about what I was going to say to her. At first, I thought it was a good thing; to have some time to think it all over, but as the time went by, I started thinking it wasn't so good. I felt like backing out and not telling her anything at all.

Just as I was about to send a text to her to tell her that something came up and we couldn't hang out she came walking through the door, a smile lighting up her face when she saw the food laid out for us.

"Oh, this is great!" She bounced over to the couch and plopped herself down beside me already reaching for some food. "I was already excited when you asked to hang out just us two, but this food makes it even better." She gave me a closed lipped smile, probably to keep the food in her mouth from spilling out into her lap.

I grabbed some food and played around in it with my fork. "Well, actually, I wanted to hang out so I could talk to you about something." I stuffed a huge bite into my mouth.

"Talk about what?"

"Jared." I set my food down and turned to fully face her. "There's something I haven't told you." I studied her to see how she felt about those words. To think we've been honest with each other since we've known each other, and then to find out I've been keeping something from her, I didn't know how she would react.

"Okay," she spoke calmly and then set her food down giving me her complete attention. "What is it?" She was being calm about it but I could tell she wanted to know what I've hid from her all this time.

"Remember how I told you we ended things mutually and things were fine between us?"

She nodded. "But you said that you lied about that."

"Right, and I'm sorry for lying. I just didn't want you to know the real reason."

"Which is?"

I took a deep breath and let it out slowly before telling her the same thing I told Grayson not long ago. As I spoke, I watched as her expressions changed from anger to sadness throughout the whole story.

"Why wouldn't you tell me this, Ellie? I'm your best friend."

"I know." I looked away from her as guilt consumed me. "It's just, you and him are related."

"What?" She shook her head. "He's like my step cousin," she paused, "if that's even a thing. I don't know." She waved her hand like it didn't matter. "Did you think I wouldn't believe you because we're related? Because I would believe you over him any day. He's always been a little off."

"I know. I'm sorry it took me so long to tell you."

"What a minute." She looked away from me like she was deep in thought, and then her eyes fell back to mine. "Is this what that phone call was about the other day? Was I the one you were not wanting to know about this?" She scanned my eyes for an answer when I didn't reply. "Who were you talking to?"

"Grayson," I admitted.

"You told Grayson and not me?" Sadness took over her features. "You felt like you could tell him about this but not me?"

"No." I shook my head. "I would never feel like I could talk to someone else over you. I mean, not usually. It's just with this, it was all because you and Jared are related. If that wouldn't have been the case, I would have come to you that same day."

"I understand. "She nodded. "But just know that I know you would never lie to me, especially about something like that. I don't care if it's someone related to me or not. I know you would never lie."

A gave her a small smile. "I know. That's why you're my best friend."

"And you're mine." She pulled me into her wrapping her arms around me. "I will always believe you." She gave me a tight squeeze before pulling away. "Except about you and Grayson just being friends."

I rolled my eyes. "Lana, we are just friends, and we're not talking about that right now."

"I know you're just friends right now. I'm just saying there's something there that you both are ignoring." She threw her hands up in defense when I glared at her. "Okay, I'm done now."

I grabbed my food. "Good," I told her before stuffing my mouth.

We spent the rest of the night eating and watching a movie. It was silent between us for the most part but I didn't mind. Lana and I could hang out all day without saying one word and somehow, we still managed to have a great time together.

After the movie we crawled into my bed together and just laid there, again, we didn't have to say anything, but it was nice to have her with me. It felt great to have told her what I've wanted to for so long and have her understand why I've kept it from her.

My phone buzzed around midnight with Grayson asking me how it went, and I told him it went really well.

Justseeing his name made me think about what Lana said. Grayson and I were justfriends. Sure, to others it might seem like a little more than that, but wewere friends. That's it.

***

I know this chapter is really short, but I wanted to give ya'll this scene between Ellie and Lana.

Don't worry, the next chapter is close to 4,000 words, lol!

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed! I want to hear your thoughts!