Chapter 6 - Interview

*Natasha's point of view*

"Where are you from?" Maria asked, her voice cracking from the lack of talking we've done.
"I've been told I'm from Stalingrad but I cant be sure." I said, trying my best to make it sound normal but it just created more questions.
"Why can't you be sure? Surely your parents told you. And I thought you were American from your accent?! Your really good at disguising your identity." She pushed for a moment, "Your a spy, arent you?" She questioned, all her thoughts merging into one.
"Takes one to know one. My parents died when I was young and I was put in a... in an orphanage. They told me I'm from Stalingrad but they aren't the most trusted people." I sighed, remembering the sob story which is my life.
"How old are you?"
"17." Her jaw dropped at my age.
"But your so mature?!"
"When you've gone through what I've gone through, you have to be mature to live another day." I said, lowering the tone majorly.
"Oh." She said, realising she may have gone a bit too far.

Thankfully, the office door opened and the awkward silence was put to an end by Clints voice.
"Natasha, you ready?" Clint's head appeared through the glass doors. In synced, we both stood up abruptly. I thought for a moment, trying to compose myself for whoever it is that lies in the next room. I let go a breath I didn't know I was holding before I spoke.
"As ready as I'll ever be." I huffed, walking towards Clint, who seemed excited but also terrified. We're all terrified.

As I approached the door, Clint widened it for me and Maria, who was trailing behind me. The flooring changed from a pale blue to a glossy black. As I neared the door, I glanced up at Clint who mouthed "Your going to be great, you've got this." My mouth formed a flimsy smile which soon faded from nerves. I closed my eyes for a second before stepping into the office.

Along the side of one wall, there was a set of oak furniture that held books and a pistol on one of the shelves, out of view, but I'm very observant. In the middle of the room, there were a set of chairs circling around a large projector that lay on the wall. A large dark desk sat in the corner of the room with a black spinning chair facing out towards the city. The window was so large, it covered the entire room, wall to wall, roof to floor. I noticed a dark skinned bald head making and appearance at the top of the chair, turned with its back towards me.
"Natasha, this is Director Nick Fury, he runs SHIELD." Clint spoke behind me, I faced my head back towards him where he was hand gestures to turn around. When I did, I saw a dark-skinned man in all black. He had an eyepatch over his left eye, scars framing the black patch. His whole face screamed that he was the boss and I was terrified. I formed a smile that said 'not too happy but not in a deep depression'. I walked to the front of his desk while he stood up and held out one of his hands, I held out my opposite hand towards him and he took it. I smiled and he just had a blank business look on his face. His hand was hot whereas mine was cold, I felt him flinch slightly.
"Nice to meet you, sir. It's a pleasure." I squeaked, attempting to use a firm and confident voice. He tilted his head slightly and sat back down.
"The pleasures all mine Miss Romanoff, I heard what you did to Agent Barton and I must say, I'm impressed." His deep voice echoed around the room. He paused for a second before adding "That is you name, right?"
"My birth name is Natalia Alianovna Romanova but I prefer Natasha Romanoff." I spoke, still standing upright.
"Please Miss Romanoff, take a seat." He paused while I sat down at one of the arm chairs in for the of his desk. "Is there any reason why you prefer that name?"
"Not really, I feel like Natasha is easier to pronounce." I lied, knowing the real reason.
"That's not the reason though, is it? I'm a spy as well, Miss Romanoff. I may not be able to tell a lot about you but I can tell when your lying." Damn.
"I changed my last name to separate myself from my family. If they find out who I am, they'll find me. Natasha is just to make it look more normal." I said, sorrowfully. I could hear Clint's brain churning at the real reason.
"Why do you want to be separated from your family? What happened in your past?" What a question. I have no idea how to say this all.
"I say family but it was forced, my real family are dead. I was put in an evil orphanage that turned me into a spy. And an assassin. They told us to class them as family. I got out of there as soon as I could." I admitted. I hate my past. It's awful, it will haunt me till the day I die. I refused to mention how many that paid the price before I escaped.
"When did you leave?"
"About two weeks ago, when Clint found me in the woods."
"Do you know where this orphanage is? Have they done this to other girls?"
"I don't know, all I know is that it's in Russia. And yes, but most, if not all do not survive the training." My voice became quieter and quieter as I spoke. I'm not saying why they didn't survive. I can't. The memory is painful.
"Okay, so Miss Romanoff, why do you feel you might be eligible to work here given what you've just told me?" Oh great.
"I feel that I want to make a difference, after everything I've seen." And done. " I feel like I should give something back. I want to stop this sort of thing. I want to protect the innocent, I'm not afraid to kill the evil if it comes to it."
"Okay." He looked down at his hands, probably contemplating whether I'm worthy of a set of guards to get kicked out. He looked up and clocked Maria. "Ah! Agent Hill, can I talk to you?" Fury got up from his desk of the room, Maria close behind. When the door was shut, Clint ran over to me.
"You didn't tell me that, Natasha!" He yelped with a hurt look on his face.
"I'm sorry." I said, genuinely feeling bad. "How did I do?" I added, my heart rate clearly getting faster.
"You did amazing, honestly. I've been in loads of interviews and he seems much more relaxed and patient with you." He spoke. I'm still terrified.

The door creaked open again and Fury walked back to his desk chair in front of me, and sat down. He shoved his feet on the desk.
"Right, Natasha. I'd like to say that I have spoken to Agent Hill and Agent Barton and I have decided that you seem suited as a spy in our corporation. Your very observant and I believe you can be a very valuable asset to SHIELD. Both Agent's do not have a bad thing to say about you and I trust them. If your willing to accept, I'd like to offer you a position as Agent Barton's partner as you both seem to work well with each other. What do you think?" I was not expecting that. He... he actually ... he believes I can become an Agent? Oh my God.
"I'm blown away, thank you so much. Yes I'd love to work with Agent Barton, sir. Thank you for this opportunity." I was smiling like crazy! This damned grin won't leave me.
"Clint will show you around, you start immediately tomorrow. I look forward to working with you, Agent Romanoff." I'm shocked. He actually wants to work with me.
"And I look forward to working with you, Director." We both stood up and shook hands once again.
"Please, call me Fury or Sir."
"Thank you sir."

I left the room sensibly, as did Clint. We shut the door and we went nuts.
"Oh my god! We're Partners! I don't have to work with Sam and Bucky anymore!"
"I have a job! I have a chance!"
"Thank you so much Clint. You've really turned my life around!"
"Don't worry about it, Natasha."
"Call me Nat. It's much easier and it's such a fuss for you to say Natasha all the time."
"Thanks, Nat."

The new start.
A new life.
Another chance.
Let's make it count.

End of Interview