Chapter 19- How could you?

*Steve's point of view*
**6 MONTHS LATER**

That first gym visit was only the start, every tuesday at 4pm, we would spar until she announces that she has to go see Clint. I haven't really thought anything of it, there's no reason to,  really. It's just that everytime I get close to her, too close probably, she rushes off. My only issue is that she never stays! I really wish she would, I'd love to ask her out for dinner or something but I never get the chance.

We obviously don't spar when we have missions. Our first mission went really well! We already knew eachothers fighting style so it wasn't hard to pinpoint where Natasha would go to. She would creep in from behind any compound we attacked and I would create a giant diversion at the front. It always works and now, Me and Nat are the people Fury calls when either someone fails or it's a high level threat. Nick says that we're the dynamic duo.

On missions, Natasha is obviously focussed on the job but she somehow manages to squeeze in some form of jokey insult or a cocky remark that never fails to make me giggle. I, however, cannot multitask and I have to either be focussed on either the mission or Nat. She's just so mesmerising!

"Oi! Get your ass up off the mat and give me a challenge!" Her cocky tone just made me giggle. She stood above me laughing as I pulled myself up.
"Your so cocky!" I laughed as I returned to my usual stature.
"You would be worried if I wasn't." She raised her eyebrow as her emerald eyes searched my eyes.
"True," I admitted laughing along with her "are you going to meet Clint?"
"Oh shit, yeah!" Did she forget her usual meeting with Clint? How? She goes every week! Nat began to pack up her gym bag and headed for the door. "I'll see you on the next mission, soldier!"
"See ya later, spy!" I heard her giggle as the door slammed behind her.

I decided I would do some solo training, punching a punching bag which is always fun! I get so involved in it! I get lost in my daydreams, taking me back to the 40s where me and Bucky would disappear off to Coney island and Bucky would always come back with a girl in each arm. Being the size of an ant back then, girls thought I was invisible so I didn't try very hard. Girls aren't lining up to dance with the guy they might step on.

After about 30 minutes, my fists were getting sore from the non-stop punching so I picked up my things and headed back to my apartment. That's when I saw him. But he wasn't with her.
"Clint? What are you doing here?" I asked, approaching him as I exited the gym.
"Oh hey Steve. I left my phone here earlier and I'm pretty sure my family are gonna freak when they can't get hold of me!" He laughed. Where is she, then? Everyone knows about Clints family but only the team can know, he doesn't want his wife and kids in danger.
"I thought you were meeting Nat?" I questioned, my eyebrows furrowing as the words left my mouth.
"No? Why would I be with Nat? I thought she was with you." His eyebrows furrowed along with me.
"We were in the gym and she left to come see you, like she does every week." I replied, why do I feel like she's been lying?
"I don't know where she goes but it's not to see me. I only see her on team missions or weekends." I don't like swearing but this has pissed me off. I covered my face with my hands and just stood there. "Does she leave every week?"
"Yep. Telling me she's coming to see you." I reply, my voice muffled from my hands.
"I'll talk to her-"
"No, don't. I'll talk to her, it's okay. I've got this." I beg for Clint not to say anything.
"Okay, I've got to go. I'll see you later." Thank god! He's not going to say anything.
"Okay, I'll see you later."

I drove home as fast as I could. Thoughts rushing through my head, suffocating me. Why did she lie? Why can't she tell me the truth!?

I jammed the key into the door and rushed inside, slamming the door behind me.

Why? Why did she have to leave, everytime? Using the same excuse! Now, she has no alibi. What is so bad that she has to keep from me? Our whole partnership is based on a lie! That might be overreacting but all the way through this relationship, she has lied. I fell for her, I... I am falling for her! I can't stop falling! It's like a spell she has casted on me, no matter what she does, I continue to fall. I really wish she would tell me the truth! That's all I want! Tell me what is going on! Why is she doing this? I just want her.

Thoughts filled my head. Painful tears brimmed my eyes. I love her! I guess she doesn't feel the same.

I flopped on the couch, my head burried in my hands. Thoughts continue to flow through my head, rushing around like the New Yorkers at rush hour.

Now I have a dilemma, how do I confront her?

End of How could you?