Chapter 17- Getting Read Pt. 2

*Steve's point of view*

My nerves were taking over my entire body, adrenaline running through my veins. I have four hours to get ready! I have plenty of time but it feels like I'm going to be late! I don't want her to think I'm eager by turning up early but I also don't want her thinking I don't care!

Bucky and Sam said they were going to come over at one, I'm not sure why. They have both been really nice since I've started working at SHIELD, sorry The Avengers. I'm still getting used to it. The entire organisation is so confusing! SHIELD is basically a heap of secrets while The Avengers is supposed to be a peace-keeping initiative that can protect the world! I know that The Avengers will turn into a heap of lies and arguments, but I'm glad I have a great partner to go through it all with.

Anyway, I got off track there, Bucky and Sam have been so welcoming. Bucky, I've known for years, literally. He was/is my best friend! He helped me through my Parents death and he protected me from any bullies that seem to be drawn to scrawny asthmatics like I was before Project: Rebirth. But now, he's the same height as me with the same sort of body structure, but he has a metal arm! A lot has changed in the last 70 years. I have only known Sam for a few weeks, at most, but he is one of those people who is automatically liked! He mocks Bucky and for some reason, the pair have this rivalry going on that can out someone into coughing fit, struggling to breathe because of how funny it is! They compare eachother! Bucky wins all the time in physical appearance, Sam is a looker but he isn't as muscular as Bucky. Sam wins on Agility and Flexibility, plus he can fly.

There is only one person who I think is very complicated, Natasha, of course I don't mean that in a bad way. I just feel like all of the others are easier to read! Bucky, a previous soldier for some evil organisation, in this case, hydra. Sam, used to work in the army, left because of a tragic loss but has always wanted to go back. Wanda, a science experiment, taken by a secret organisation and experimented on, clear grief, someone close to her has died. Clint, a joker but not as much as Bucky and Sam, he has some form of enhanced sense that he can predict exactly where someone is. A master spy can creep up on Clint and he would know that they were there immediately. Maria and Fury are your typical boss and assistant, its just that Maria has a skillset on the side. Rhodey is your typical righteous soldier, willing to do the right thing. Tony is Rich, crazy rich. Billionaire who comes across to be a playboy, maybe he is or he used to be. The only one I can't get an idea on is Natasha! I want to sit with her, I want to learn more about her, I want to know how someone so extraordinary became who she is. I will sit with her for however long it takes for her to trust me, I'll wait. I'll leave of she says, but knowing me, I will go back and sit with her again.

"Rogers! Open the door!" A muffled masculine voice shouted, knocking violently on the door. I snapped out of my daydream and looked at the time. 1am. I'm not even dressed! Rushing to get my joggers and a tank top on, I sprint to the door, swinging it open to find a smug looking Bucky with an annoyed Sam.
"What's up with him?" I ask, turning to Bucky.
"He lost." Bucky chuckled, walking passed me as Sam followed. They led themselves into the front room while I shut the door, rushing in to find them.
"Ooh! Steve! What's this?!" Sam said, seeming much more happy. His finger pointed at the brown envelope on my coffee table, Natasha's face paper clipped on to the front.
"That? That's nothing." I deny. Too eager. Great. Bucky saw my eagerness and decided to look at where Sam was pointing.
"Steve! That's Nat's file. The photo is usually paper clipped inside..." Bucky sat on my sofa and slid the file around to him. "This is a SHIELD file! They only have Avengers files on Nat now! How long have you had this?" Oh great.
"Its no big deal-"
"But your partners now, right?"
"Yeah, but-"
"You like her don't you?"
"Wait-"
"Steve! You like her!"
"SHUT UP!" I scream, I no other choice to get their attention. "I got that a year ago. Fury came to recruit me and left it behind when I rejected."
"She doesn't like it when people give out her file! Let alone read it!" Sam chipped in, clearly reliving a previous memory.
"Well it's a good thing I haven't read it!" I shrug my shoulders and lean against the door frame.
"You've had this for an entire year, and you haven't read it!? God, you really are America's Golden Boy!" Bucky laughed.
"Well if she wants me to know, then she can tell me. Until then, I refuse to read it without her consent."

The boys stayed for a little while, they mocked me for liking Nat. I am a terrible liar so they could see right through me when I said I didn't like her. Of course I like her! She's visibly stunning! I'd love to know more about her! When I told the guys they had to go, they mocked that I had a date with her and when I said that I'm going to the gym with her, they both looked like two high school girls asking about whether their best friend has had their first kiss. It's at that point that I decided to chuck them out of my apartment.

3pm.

I'm going to be late! I already can tell I'm going to be late! Natasha is going to hate me, I doubt she likes me as it is. I hope she does. What if she thinks this is a date? Is it a date? Do I think it's a date? It could be, I suppose. It's possible. With her Anxiety, which I heard from Clint, if she thinks it's a date then she is going to freak out. I have to make it as friend related as possible, no matter how much I want more.

A quick shower and a change of clothes brings me to 3:30pm. I race down to my car, turning my ignition violently. Thankfully, the car starts up and I am faced with the New York traffic. It took me half an hour to get to Avengers Tower. 4:00pm. I'm late. The stairs are no use to me right now, I have to take the elevator, it will probably be quicker. The elevator door slides open and I quickly jump in, spamming the button for the 5th floor. The door slides shut and I'm faced with a scarily long ride upstairs.

30 seconds later, the door slides open once again and I race towards the gym, almost jogging! A skinny Red head in a pair of branded leggings and a black jacket stood outside. Red hair tied back into a high ponytail. Its Natasha. She's early!

End of Getting Ready Pt. 2