Chapter 3

THIRD PERSON POV
Survivors' Side
Post-match moments are the best yet the worst thing for Emily Dyer to take action.

What makes it best for her is that first of all, she is a doctor, in which is the one and only career she has worked really hard for. Not to mention the will of steel she has towards helping others.

"Oh my goodness, Kurt! Who among the two hunters did this to you?!" She said, tending to the injured man's arms and legs, which is covered in deep cuts and open wounds, causing bloodstains appearing on his clothes.

Kurt, the explorer, gave nothing but a flinch as response. He admires Emily for her kindness, but at the same time he dislikes the way she keeps on asking him stuff everytime a match ends.
He had nothing to say as Emily reached for her medical kit.

"Seriously, why would they think of doing something this bad?" The doctor complained as she washed Kurt's cuts. At the same time, she has respect towards his toughness.

The wounds he received are bad, but the explorer is not even showing any signs of being in pain at all.

Guess all those years of exploring really did something to him. Emily thought to herself.

"Well, they're hunters, so there's no doubt...." Kurt said, finally giving his response. He was still trying to catch his breath as the hunter he went against didn't even bother going easy on him.

Emily sighed as she rolled her eyes.

"Oh come on, Em! We're used to this already!" A muscular man said as he sat himself next to Kurt.

"Don't make it seem like it's easy, William Ellis the Forward. You're talking this way because you never knew what it's like to have to both play in matches and be the one who tends to everyone, duh!"

That was when the sound of something crashing came from upstairs.

"What the-- what was that?! Everyone upstairs, show yourselves up this instant!" William yelled, stomping towards the stairs.

"My bad!" We're coming down now!" Said a squeaky voice, which belongs to no one more other than Emma the Gardener.

***

"Eli and Naib were showing off their skills when I noticed them accidentally dropping one of the diaries..." Emma said as the whole survivors wide-eyed them for making such a noise.

"As expected of two men with the souls of babies...." Vera said, earning a malicious glare from both men.

"Your perfuming skills suck!" Naib teased as he flicked his tongue out at the perfumer, followed by Eli making weird faces. The two then high-fived above everyone's heads.

Despite Eli and Naib acting like they fight the whole time, they are best friends, and everyone knows that really well.

"Alright. Enough with all the acts, guys. It's dinnertime so why don't you start digging in?" Emily said, trying to light up the situation.
"By the way, where is Aesop? Eli, Naib, he lives in the same floor as you two, right?"

The both men stared at each other, then at Emily, then back at each other.

"Yes..." Eli said, scratching his head.
The doctor can't help but noticed that something is off from the way the two act.

"Did something happen to him? Or between you three?" She said, her eyes making a stern look.
"He won't leave his room again, is it? Even with your persuasion?"

Naib gave a weak nod.
"He doesn't even want to talk. He just shook his head and closed the door on us. And that was yesterday. We tried again today, but the only thing we heard was cries." He added.

Emily pinched the bridges of her nose, eyes closed in despair.

"He only comes out whenever it's necessary, we all knew that. But he has been acting different these three days. He even went on days without eating." Eli said, much to Emily's dismay.

Breaking the silence, Kurt then spoke up, ignoring the surge of pain throbbing on his now bandaged injuries.

He placed his free hand on her shoulder.

"You should talk some sense into him. You are the only one he opens up to, right?"

"Huh...?" Emily said, surprised.

"Remember the first day he came? He only talks to you and only you. Em, no one among us here is able to approach him. You're the only one who can. Give it a go, Doctor Dyer."

"Okay. I can't afford to let him get sick either.."

***
"Aesop? Hey. It's Emily. Everything okay in there?"

There goes the doctor, standing right in front of the embalmer's room door, hoping for him to respond to her.

No answer, even the slightest sound of footsteps.

The doctor then knocked again and again, but to no avail.

Don't tell me it's happening again... She muttered to herself.

"Hey. I know you hate socializing more than anything else, but please. This is starting to get ridiculous. Whatever it is, I'm letting myself in." She said, anger palpable in the tone of her voice.

She then opened the door, only to witness something she has been fearing towards him happen before her eyes.

Aesop was there, looking more sick than ever. His hands were shaking, and he was gasping for air.

"Aesop?!"

The young doctor then barged in, checking for his temperature. It was when she knew that the embalmer is not in his usual condition.

His temperature was way higher than what it is supposed to be.