Chapter 17

3rd PERSON POV
BlackJack
Vera dashed with the energy she has, her eyes taking short glances at the hunter that Jack had teamed her up with.

She hoped that the hunter will take notice of her, or at least figure out why not even a single conversation had started between them, but Bi An seemed to have his whole focus on whoever will have this round passed to the hunter, his hands playing around with his trustworthy umbrella.

The perfumer then ran towards a cipher, only to figure out that Naib was there along with Jack the Ripper.

Awkwardness sat in Vera's heart, her mind recalling exactly the day she had broken into a bad relation with the mercenary before none of them would actually start a conversation ever since.

"Hey, Jack. Who's the one with the highest? I feel bad for the survivor. That means being everyone's whole target!" Bi An said as he placed a hand on the ripper's shoulder.

"I'm not allowed to break it to you, Xie Bi An. We'll just have to see it by ourselves. You'll see." The Ripper said, sighing.
"And Naib Subedar. You done?"

The mercenary pouted before showing the handful of chips he managed to obtain to the ridiculously tall ripper. He did not bother to notice the perfumer next to him in the process.

It was pure silence before William breaks the moment.
"Everyone. Beware of Joseph! I repeat, beware of Joseph!"

It didn't take long for them to figure out that Aesop is the one to pass the round to the hunter. Everyone noticed the photographer approaching them, the embalmer tailing him with his hands holding some cards.

"What do I do? What do I do?! Wu Chang, what do I do?!" Vera yelled, her hands on her head. She had no idea of how much of an obnoxious ct she had pulled.

Bi An cussed, holding back the urge to hit the godforsaken perfumer. He was lucky that Wu Jiu had not been the one playing in this match or things would have gotten even worse.

"Do the survivors have to face someone as obnoxious as her? Now I feel sorry for them. Why would this goddamn Jack team you with her, my Bi An?" Wu Jiu's muffled voice came from the umbrella.

Bi An let out a slight laugh before smiling at the umbrella.

By now everyone was running towards different directions, with the hope of not running into Aesop and Joseph.

Helena was the closest to that of the photographer's team now that she can hear Joseph pulling his sword, making his way towards her.

"Run, little girl. There's nothing I can do to help once you get hit." Michiko's motherlike voice said to her.

Despite the photographer's heavy breath and the sound of ciphers being decoded, the blind girl managed to catch a few hints of the conversation taking place between him and that of the embalmer.

"If I get hit, what will you do?"

"Aesop, for the thousandth time in a row there's no way in hell that I would let that happen! I'll protect you, even if it means damaging my sword! Now stay close."

"Alright. But if I get hit I'll make sure you give me a massage, Josephine."

Helena chuckled. Despite his anxiety attack towards new people, the embalmer can actually make a good and sassy friend to have.

No one, even Aesop himself, does know that the mind's eye is one of those who knows the thing between him and that of Joseph, aside from Emily. The night Joseph made his way to the survivors' side with him holding Aesop bridal style? She knows. Her sharp hearing makes it clear for her.