I

NAIB
Who am I? Why am I here?

Those words took over my mind, and to an endless void it goes no matter how much of an attempt I want them to be out.

And those voices. The voices that had been pounding inside my head, crushing every bit of sanity I have left.

But the one that I still have no idea why is,

Why.... why does it feel like I'm looking for someone?

.

"Hey. Are you having a hard time studying the maps out? May I help?"

I looked up from the books and papers to be greeted by this man in a blindfold and a blue hoodie that covers him all the way from head to toe.

Eli Clark, if I get his name right.

Over my first few days of being here, he has been the one to befriend me first - aside from Emily- and I gotta break the truth here, I respect the guy for bearing with my timid self.

"Um... no.." I said, scratching the back of my head.
"But the thing that I still don't get is, this 'match' that both you and Emily keep on saying. Like, what exactly is it? Why all the maps? Do we get to choose where to go or-"

"No." He said, pulling his hood down and ran his fingers on his brown hair.

"We don't know where we will be playing. And never be. The reason why I showed you those maps is that so you will be able to maneuver around without getting lost."

For a moment there, we both went silent to the point where I can hear my own heartbeat.

I was about to ask him more questions when I heard the sound of doors being  opened and the sound of footsteps approaching us.

"What is it, Em?" Eli asked as he stood up.

"Did you remember me saying that there will be a new guy coming here? Well, he is here."

Eli then followed Emily to the front, leaving me alone with my own thoughts.

Matches? Maps? What stuff is this?
And does this place get newcomers everytime?

Just... what is this place?

"Hey, man. Sorry for leaving you out earlier. I did not mean to do that.... it's just, we have a newcomer and he was kind of timid to make his way inside so Emily had to ask my help."

He then grabbed a bottle of water from the counter and handed it to me.

"Let's not talk about that guy, okay? Let's go back to how you are doing. But before that, I want you to meet my little friend."

I was still staring at him blankly when  an owl perched on my shoulder, gentle coos coming out of its mouth.

"Meet Luke, my owl. You've been looking as tense as ever and I really don't want that to happen here. By the way, it is getting kinda late. Maybe you should rest?"

I nodded.
"Yeah, maybe I should."

After a few see ya laters and we'll catch ups, I made my way to where my room is.

Emily had showed me where it is, now that I don't have any problems on finding it.

Third floor, second door. I remember her saying it to me the moment I recovered from how she had found me unconscious with all my strains a few days back.

I was about to open the door leading to mine when I heard voices from the other side of the manor, coming from behind the red curtain that covers something I had once assumed as a wall.

What could be back there?

Should I just take a look?

It was when I felt Emily's hand on my shoulder.

"Naib? What's wrong? Are you not feeling well again? You've been dazing off a lot today.... are you alright?"

"Oh, um... I'm fine, Emily. It's just, well, I'm just tired! A slight rest will help me get back on track!"

Emily then smiled and had her eyes on the same direction I was looking at, it is as if she had read my mind like a book.

"I'll tell you everything tomorrow. To be honest, I want to tell you everything about this manor but then I remembered that we have a newcomer here and I had promised him I'll tell him everything the next day. So, I thought it would be best if I make it a moment for you and him to get along! As for now, get some rest, Naib. You need it."

Truthfully I had lots of things to say to her, but tiredness had taken over me, and I had no more choice but to nod my okay.

                                 ***
Sleep did not come easy to me last night, with all those voices ravaging my head and everything that happened during that very surgery I underwent in which I cannot remember what made me go through it.

Emily really meant what she said last night. By the time I got up and dressed myself, everyone was there in the lobby, along with the new guy that she and Eli had mentioned.

He was sitting in the very far edge of the table, a white mask covering his nose and lips, his hands holding on a kit .

I've never seen such a distanced guy before!

"Heya, Naib!" Eli said as he plopped himself on the seat next to me.
"That's the guy I mentioned about yesterday."

I nodded, for I have nothing to say at the moment.

I was staring at random corners of the manor when my eyes coincidentally met with that of the new guy, in which he then flinched, causing me to feel nothing but confusion.

"Naib, good morning!" Emily's distinctive voice was heard the moment   she saw me.

"I know I owe you something from last night, but now that everyone is here, it is a good chance for me to tell you that you have a new friend now!"

My attention went back to that of the guy.

"Meet Aesop Carl, or well known as the Embalmer!"