V

Little did he know it would be his biggest mistake.

Gunshot rippled through the air,

Leaving behind a man being scarred for the rest of his life,

And another man who had just lost himself.

.
3rd PERSON POV
Naib. Naib Subedar. You're Naib Subedar.

Naib had locked himself in the lavatory, the excuse of having nature's calling to Eli and Aesop being the convincing lie.

If only there was someone who could look into his eyes and noticed how much of a battlefield his mind is at the current state, in which to be honest, had brought a slight relief to the green-hooded man that no one among those two were observant enough to notice that.

He stared at his own reflection, hands holding onto the sink as sweat poured down his head.

Something is off about that hunter.

The way he walks. The way he had swung his claws with the look of hesitation being clearly drawn all over his face. The way he had put that much of a difference as he ballooned and rocket-chaired the Mercenary over the three other survivors he had been teamed up with.

Why? Just... why?

The Mercenary sighed as his hands started fidgeting. He might have been injured enough during that very match, but unbeknownst to anyone, that he had paid his whole attention on that of the hunter's actions towards him.

Could it be.. that he had noticed the lack of energy I had? No. There is no way a hunter would give all his care to us survivors.

To more and more assumptions Naib's mind went, to the point where his injuries are letting him know that he had went too far on himself.

All strained and tired, the Mercenary leaned his back against the wall as he slumped downwards before the toilet, his eyes closed as he held back the urge to heave all his contents out.

It was when something hit him. The very something he had never broke out to anyone, even the duo he had befriended earlier.

Walking back to the mirror where he first started, he pulled off his hoodie, revealing the scar that took the most part of his head.

Naib clenched his fists as he studied his own scar. He really had no idea how it happened, and what he had lived as before all this.

Just... who am I before all this?

What's with that hunter I encountered earlier?

                                 ***
"We have been informed that there is a new hunter! Everyone gather up!"

Here the Mercenary is, back with another survivor-gatherings that Emily, for some reason, keeps forcing him -no. Everyone in this side of Oletus- to show up.

"Hm? What do you mean a new hunter? We usually get announcements few days prior to their arrival! But we got nothing!" Someone muscular in a black jersey who had introduced himself as William Ellis to the Mercenary said.

"Well, yes. This is a bit unexpected. So apparently Michiko the Geisha found this man unconscious by the waters beside the garden and decided to make him one of the hunters. Jack just happened to give me the announcement this morning several minutes after I am ready to start the day."

"Hm." William grunted to himself as he went back to play with his rugby.

It was silent for a few moments when Eli, as the one who always knows when to break off awkward situations, says something.

"That's kinda surprising. Why and how would anyone fall unconscious there? Not to mention, why here, out of all other available places?"

The Seer felt a hard nudge on his elbow.

"I was brought in the same way, Eli. What exactly are you pinpointing here?"

Despite the massive breakdown Naib was in earlier, it does not bring down the fact that he had mustered up enough courage to throw jokes and commit childish acts on the Seer, for the friendship bond between them had gotten stronger as they recuperated together.

"Uhm, I mean, why the garden?" Eli laughed as he gave Naib a slight fistbump.

"Eli, In my opinion I should be the one asking you. You're the Seer. A seer with the Great Eye behind that blindfold. What in the name of Jack the Ripper makes you think I'm able to know?" Emily joked, much to the flushing red color on the Seer's face.

Everyone then laughed, except for one.

The embalmer shifted in his seat, his timid eyes avoiding the tremendous amount of people by his surroundings. He might have agreed to be the Seer and the Mercenary's friend, but this is not what he had signed up for.

Once in a while he would shoot looks to that of Naib and Eli, hoping that either one of those two would get the only thing those grey eyes portray: the will to get out of here and be alone in his room again.

Naib, despite being the one to start the joke, eventually noticed the look on the embalmer's eyes and to Aesop's amusement, he actually took the look on the embalmer's face for granted.

The Mercenary then stood up, everyone's eyes and attention being centered at him.

"Emily, this gathering's purpose is to let us know that the Hunters' Side have gained a new hunter and that we should be prepared to deal with him once he gets to be picked for a match, right?"

The Doctor nodded, fiddling with the medical kit she has always held on to.

"Well then, I am pretty sure all of us are aware of that..." Naib coughed into his hands, having full understanding of the embalmer's feelings.

And this further uneasiness that creeps up in him.

"Then I'll ask. Is it okay for all of us to head back to our rooms now?" The Mercenary asked again, scratching the back of his head.

"Why.... sure! This is merely to prevent you all asking gazillions of questions once a match against that very hunter is held, and not to mention that this hunter had arrived in an unexpected way so- yeah. Feel free to head back to all your rooms!"

With that, the Embalmer then quickly left, followed by the Mercenary.

As the two made their way to the third floor, something that Naib had never expected would be addressed to him came out from the Embalmer.

"Thank you." He said, a faint smile forming on his lips that is visible from the way his mask moves.

The Mercenary smiled. He understood the Embalmer's state very well, and helping him had been his on-top-bucket-list.

He waited for Aesop to enter his room and close the door, before proceeding to enter that of his own.

Naib then sat on his bed, his mind going uneasy and freaked out again, as a slight headache throbs the back of his skull.

Jack.

He is the man with no memories, but at the same time into a deeper state of pain his head goes, as he tried to figure out why does it feel like that name is familiar to him.