Chapter 16

JOSEPH
1 hour before the current BlackJack starts.

It's best for us to stop being friends.

Few days had passed and I still cannot get that out of my head. Not even one bit of that moment was out of me.

I stared at my reflection in the mirror, only to realize how much of a mess I look like. My eyes had all gotten swollen and red from too much crying. Dark eyebags had formed under them from the lack of sleep I get ever since that.

Aesop.

I was the one who happen to find him different than the others and wanted him to stay, yet I had told him to stop talking to me that day.

The one that made me smile in all the chaos going in me. The one who ignited the fire in me. I had put all those words into him. I had made him cry.

"What the fuck was I thinking?!" I yelled out, placing both hands on my head. I can't take it anymore.

"Photoboy? BlackJack is starting! You ready or not?! You better get your ass out here before Jack fries you alive!" Wu Jiu's voice said right in front of my door.
"Why are you even yelling to yourself anyway?"

I flinched. There is no way in hell that I'm going to let him know the reason behind all this.
"Coming! Can you give me time to myself? I need preparations!"

"Well, whatever you do, just make it quick! You're not even allowed to use your cameras, remember? Anyway, I'll be waiting in the lobby. Be quick, okay?"

Wu Chang's voice seems way more gentle than he was earlier. The two must have switched souls without me knowing.

I put my overcoat on, gazing at the picture of Aesop decoding I managed to take on my very first match with him.
I let out a huge sigh, the feeling of remorse washing all over me.

I shouldn't have said that to him. I really shouldn't.

"Hey. You good?"

Jack. He was inside my room.
"You didn't lock that, Jose." He said the moment he saw the look on my face.
"We're about to head to the survivors now. It's BlackJack time. See my new look? Oh wait. Let me sit down."

Creases started forming in my forehead. BlackJack. Everyone in this side has had talks about it for a long time, and for what I can remember, it is the match where we will be teaming up with the survivors, with the Ripper deciding the names.

I looked towards him and realized what he meant by 'new look'. He was dressed in a black tuxedo instead of his usual green one. His hair is neatly styled despite wearing a hat. The part that I noticed the most is his mask. It was in the shape of a skull and had two large eyeholes for his eyes, which is very strange to me since his usual mask is just an average white one with no specialties.

"Yeah." I said.

"Hey, Jose, listen. I noticed you and your  acts and can't help to break this out. You haven't been doing good, and that is the main reason why I haven't put you in any matches these few days. However, in this BlackJack mode, you are in luck!"

He then hummed a tune, removed his mask, and stared at me.
"I'm telling you your teammate for this match. Only you and no one else. You ready?"

I froze. He might act really friendly towards me, but right now, this is kind of creepy. It's like he is up to something.

It was when he mentioned the name that made a spark of joy shimmer in my heart. The uneasy feeling I have earlier had been replaced by a new one.

I was the one making him feel that way, and I should be the one putting an end to that.

AESOP
Flabbergasted. Speechless.
Those are exact descriptions of how I felt the moment Jack allowed us to see who our teammates are before he officially starts the match.

There he is, standing behind me. He had both hands placed on my chair, his long sword next to him.
"Miss me?" He said, his lips forming a smile that never in my life would I get over it.

I was about to answer him, but Jack had declared BlackJack to officially start, thus causing everything in the Oletus Manor to turn dark and each of us to feel lightheaded.

***
"How is it that you're talking to me now?" I asked him the moment we made it to the match location. Sacred Heart Hospital.

"I can't bring myself to not talk to you. That conversation earlier? I guess I wasn't thinking. I was putting the sake of my own good without thinking about how you will feel. I'm--"

I decided to interrupt his talk, my face forming a sly expression.
"Just admit it, Joseph. You were making it sound like I'm the one missing you, but deep down inside you are the one missing me. Riightt?"

I nudged him in the elbow, which is not that hard to reach. I started to realize that among each and every hunter here, his height is sort of..... special.

I noticed Joseph's face turning red. If only Jack wasn't talking that time I would have given him a big hug.

"Before I start handing out the cards, let me give a final check. Vera and Wu Chang. Helena and Michiko. William and Hastur. Naib and me. Yes, I will be one of the players here. No need to worry. Hastur and I won't do any unnecessary stuff. And last of all, Aesop and Joseph."

We all nodded as the Ripper took a few bunch of cards, walking towards each survivor. The first one for him to hand the card out is Naib, his teammate, who I noticed is always staring at the tall hunter, his thumbs rubbing against each other. I also noticed from the corner of my eyes that he is trying to start a conversation with that of his teammate.

Something seems fishy about that.

Jack then walked towards me, his claws the one giving me a card. It seems like he is muttering something under his breath, but I cannot really tell because of the length of his mask.

I then realized I am the last to be handed out a card, now that Jack is back to standing behind the mercenary.
"Start now!" Both he and Hastur yelled.

I opened the card he gave me. I recalled Emily's explanation that these cards are rewarded with points, each team having different cards and points. The goal is to be the first one to rack up 21 points, and the survivor with the highest point in the card will have to pass the round to the hunter.

Wait. Emily also said something about the risk of being hurt by other teams, but I cannot exactly remember what it is.

I was now running towards a cipher machine, decoding it in order to earn chips that can be traded for power-ups. Joseph? He stayed behind me the whole time, being the look-up.

I formed a slight smile as he does that. No words might come out of my lips, but I am happy beyond measure to finally see him and his smile again.
I haven't been in a good mood lately, but his presence changed everything.

"Aesop." He said as we both ran, in hope to find another cipher.
"Thank you for still wanting to talk to me despite that day."

I smiled.
"It's good to see you again, Joseph. You have no idea how happy I am for that."

It was when a loud beep came from Joseph's wrists. I don't need anyone telling me that I am the one with the highest number of points.

Joseph shifted his position, now in front of me. He had his sword steady in his hands.
"Don't worry, Aesop. Keep running. I'll cover you. I got you."