Chapter 24

AESOP
"Hey, Aesop. Wake up."

I curled up into the covers of my bed and opened one eye, putting all my focus on the clock. It's 6 in the morning and the match doesn't start till tomorrow yet Eli is here waking me up. In my room.

Eli.

I placed my other pillow on top of my head, ignoring his voice as I let sleep take me over once again. What's gotten into his head now that he is here in this room after that incident?

"Aesop Carl. Hello? Earth to the Embalmer?" He said, snagging the pillow off my head.

"What do you want, Eli?! It's still fucking early and we don't have any single match today! What on earth makes you think you can make all the way here without knocking?!" I yelled, pulling myself into a sitting position with my both eyes still half-closed. I don't want all the drowsiness to go away at this hour.

"Dude. I know you're pissed off. I know you are not even a morning person. But please listen to me right now.." Eli said as he took off the blindfold that had covered his eyes and nose, revealing a pair of blue orbs.

"I need your help, Aesop."

"Help you with what?" I answered, lying my head back on the pillow.

He was silent as the words escaped my lips. It was when it hit me like a wave washing through the shore.
"It's Naib, is it?" I asked.
"His sobs? Emily's daily checks on him only for it to end up as him crying even more? His rage?"

Eli nodded as he stared at me.

"You heard all those too, Aesop?" He asked, much to my agitation.

"We live in the same floor and I am a fucking light sleeper. What in the name of Miss Nightingale makes you think I don't hear them?" I said, my hands playing with my shoulder-length hair.

"Hahaha.... grumpy Aesop as always!" Eli chuckled before putting back his blindfold on.
"Listen here, man. I'm sorry for yelling out at Joseph and lashing out at you that time. I really do."

I deliberately sat back up from my lying position.

Joseph.

His name and presence has been the only thing that hogs my mind ever since I made up a little something to him just a few days ago. And the fact that I haven't seen him around in person just made my head spin.

"I was stupid. I only thought of the rules here without taking all the feelings you and him have into account. But you do know that I was worried about you, Aesop. It's just I did it in the wrong way. Will you forgive me? Will our friendship be cool again?"

I said nothing as he pointed his fist at me for me to bump it back. Just something the three of us usually do.
"Okay." I said, fistbumping him.

"About Naib, I feel sorry for him..." I said again as he placed himself on the chair in front of my nightstand.

"I feel bad for him too. I just can't understand how did he start having those breakdowns. To think it is you among everyone here who needs medical attention the most!" He said, earning my scowl.

"Shut it and get back to the point before I kick you out, Eli Clark." I said in gritted teeth as he laughed.

"Oof! Okay. Okay. Back to Naib. He was all fine when I knew him for the first time! He keeps on asking who he was! Is he like... recalling something?"

My eyes widened as I recalled every of Naib's actions as he cried in pain the day before. Him avoiding eye contact despite it being Eli and Helena as the two he trusts the most. His shaky hands.

"Eli, I don't think he is badly sick..." I chimed in.
"I have a feeling that he indeed is recalling who he was before all this happened....."

                              ***
"Alright, survivors. It's one last day before we are finally back to some kiting time!" William said as he and Emily sorted through papers, their eyes scanning for match details. Yep. Everyone, even Naib, had gathered around here again for like the thousandth time.

I kept on staring at the hunters' side, hoping for him to at least show up. It has been two days ever since he broke down in front of me. Two days ever since we got each other gifts.

It had been only days but to me it felt like years.

I miss him badly.

"Aesop, hey!" William said, snapping me out of my trance.

"You zoned off! Everyone here has been calling you to let you know that you will be up against the Ripper tomorrow and that you should prepare yourself! Are you okay by the way, Junior?"

I averted my gaze from the Forward as he kept on talking. I am aware of all this. I know I am up against the ripper.

"Aesop Carl! You--" William yelled as he moved closer to me, but was then cut off by Eli placing a hand on his shoulder.

"It's alright, Forward. I got this." He said.

I looked up at my surroundings only to find everyone gone back but Eli. He had  plopped himself on the tables, his eyes also staring at the hunters' side.

"You're looking for Joseph, right?" He said in a whisper.

I didn't answer. If he really is a friend of mine, he is supposed to know from my initial response. Not to mention I am not in the mood to talk now.

"Hey, if that is the case, my dear friend..." He said again.
"Why don't you confess your true feelings to him?"

I spit out the water I just drank as the words escaped his lips.

Confess.

Is it true that my actions show the signs of love?
Is it real.... that I had fallen in love with Joseph?

"Get the chance before you miss it, embalmer. Don't worry. Your secret is safe with me!" He said, smiling his usual smile.

"What?! But what if he says no?!' I yelped in defense.

"Dude. I had Luke spectate on him these two days and let me tell you he has this same feeling as you. Trust me. You gotta take this chance, bro."

I stared at him in disbelief as he let Luke land on my left shoulder. Eli smiled as his owl let out a small coo as he flapped his wings in the process.

As if Eli had spoken in the right moment, I noticed Joseph making his way to the matching lobby.

My heart started drumming, my brain forming out the words. He was staring at the details for tomorrow's match when I noticed something off in him.

There were tears on his face.