Chapter 5

"The embalmer."

"That guy gets sick a lot despite his height. Wonder what's wrong with him."

Jack and Leo's words from the conversation earlier was still fresh inside my mind, putting me into a huge whirlpool of thoughts.

I know I have never met him, not even once. I have absolutely no idea how this guy looks like, but my mind subconsciously does not stop thinking of that name.

"Joseph, hey. Shouldn't you be back in your slumber by now?"

I really wonder what the embalmer is like. I've heard from all the hunters here that he is a newcomer as well, only with the fact that he came here a few weeks in advance than I do.

"Hello! Earth to Joseph Desaulniers!"

I snapped out of my trance and was surprised to find Wu Jiu there.
Guess my thinking trance must have gotten the best of me that I didn't even realize he was there. Wow.

"What's up?" I said, trying my best to act as casual as possible.

"You tell me what's up! What are you doing? No matches, no gatherings, yet you are here walking in circles. You out of your mind? Let Michiko know and she'll go whoosh whack bam on you!"

Huh?

I've been walking in circles the whole time?

Why does it feel like I'm doing nothing at all?

Sometimes it is really hard to believe how much of a shutdown effect thoughts can have to one's awareness.

"Oh! Um... okay. I'll head back now... Um..."

Wu Jiu bent down to my level, eyeing me from head to toe.

"I think I sense something fishy here. Don't tell me you're in love...."

My heart flinched at his words.

I don't even know what this feeling is in the first place.

"-with Michiko!"

Great. Just great. Now I feel like letting myself be hidden under the rectangular table without the need of being found, forever.

Just what on earth is inside his mind?

"What's the ruckus, Wu Jiu? And Joseph? Why are you still here? Didn't you say you'll be back to your room fifteen minutes ago?"

"Jack! Thank goodness!" I muttered as I made my way to the stairs.
"Yeah I'm heading back now. For real."

Jack shrugged as response, his lips mumbling something that pretty much seems like a tune.

I was about to make my way to the second floor when I noticed something I've never seen before in my first few days of being here in this manor.

Right before my eyes, stood two big chairs with a ginormous red-coloured curtain behind it. There is also a set of monitors displaying names and numbers I can barely understand.

Wait. Names?

Could it be......

It was when I heard footsteps coming from the other side of the curtain, followed by a bunch of muffled talking voices.

The survivors?

A gentle pat on the shoulder snapped me out of my thoughts, for the second time in a row.

"Hey. Still curious about this part of the manor, eh?"

Michiko.

"Yeah. Still familiarizing myself, but I feel kinda insecure about--"

"It's fine. Hunters can see whoever among the survivors who are gathering there. It's a special privilege only us hunters are given. Survivors are and will never be able to do so, and that's just the way it is."

I opened my mouth in awe.

Moving closer to the curtains, I noticed three women having a talk with one of them banging her head on the wall at times.

Wow. It really is see through.

".... you serious? Aesop's all good now?"

"Yeah. He's coming down in a bit. I told him to rest up some more but he won't listen."

I raised one eyebrow at the mention of the name.

Still eavesdropping, my eyes caught the main reason behind all my random acts and thoughts.

A grey-haired man came down to where the three are. His lips is hidden behind a white mask and his right hand is holding on to something that looks like a kit.

My heart started pounding in my chest.

What... is this feeling?

***

3rd PERSON POV
Survivors' Side
"I swear to God, Vera, you need to at least behave! How many more times do I have to keep doing this 'till you understand?!"

Vera's harsh acts has always been the main problem source and everyone has always been able to bear with it, but this time, the boundary lines had been cut loose.

The perfumer said nothing, her eyebrows forming a frown and hands fidgeting.

"Our patience have limits, Vera. Aren't you aware of that?"

The perfumer sighed.

"Enough is enough, okay? I won't mind getting you outta here for real if I have to." Martha said, fists tightened.
"By the way, Emily, is Aesop okay?"

Yeah. He's coming for supper in a bit."

"You serious? Aesop's all good now?"

"Yeah. I told him to rest up a bit more, but he won't listen."

The three women got into a trance of concern when the embalmer finally showed up, not wearing his usual grey attire but a white shirt and joggerpants.
Instead of having his hair tied into a short ponytail like he usually is, he lets it hang loose, revealing his shoulder-length hair.

"Aesop? Hey. You okay?" Emily asked, approaching the young man.

"Hey, Emily." He said, finally letting a few words out his mouth.
"Yeah. Better."

The doctor lets out a huge smile.
"That's great! Eat up, the food's all up for you. By the way, I need to fetch the details of our next match so I'll leave you for a while, okay?"

The embalmer nodded, poking the food on his plate with his fork.

Emily then left, leaving Aesop and Vera on their own.

It was pure silence between the two when Vera decided to break the moment.

"How are you?"

Aesop shot her a dirty look.
"You messed with my friends, and now you expect me to talk to you? Just butt out."

Vera stared at him.
"What?" She asked, trying her best to cover it up.

"Naib and Eli. Now don't ask me anything." Aesop said, bringing his food to his room.

The perfumer eyed him, before taking a huge breath and letting out small sobs.

A/N:
I apologize if my updating schedules seem weird to most of you. It's just I haven't been able to keep up with an on-time update because of college and stuff so yeah hope you all understand!
ごめんなさいね!

On another note, I really am thankful for all the support you guys give on this story. I love reading all your comments, they all make my day!

It's really unbelievable despite the idea of writing this story was actually based on boredom XD

I'm just glad I decided to play Identity V tho!

Anyway, thanks to Mirai2Haruka for coming up with the idea of making Aesop bros with Naib and Eli! It's gonna be fun with their opposite personalities! Aesop would be trying hard to get the two out of trouble XD