Chapter 38

3rd PERSON POV
Survivors' Side
The walk back to the rooms no longer felt the same to all the survivors, for there is this something that happens to hog all their minds and drift them way beyond the feeling of relief.

What had made Jack go this way?

Who is the one behind all this?

Every single person was trying to figure out the reason, except for one.

As the one who has always been able to see and know everything, he kept his attention straight to his owl that is cooing right next to his shoulder.

It no longer needs to be doubted. He thought as he made his way to the third floor where he, Naib, and Aesop had shared the same room location.

On usual occassions he would be throwing inside jokes towards the two, with the Embalmer threatening to stuff the Seer inside his coffin everytime his laugh gets beyond noisy.

As for now, the Embalmer had went back to his room to catch up with his sleep, for he just got discharged and the session had seemed to drain all his energy out of him. The Seer knows and is way aware of it.

He sighed as he petted Luke, the owl letting another coo as response.

However, even with all that thought going inside him, a smile formed on his lips.

You finally let him know how you feel towards him eh, Aesop?

He remembers it pretty clear, the moment he met the Photographer in that very match and how he had hurt the latter's feelings by saying all those words out. The very thing that happened to cause a dispute between him and that of Aesop.

But looking at how things are going between those two, and how Aesop had confessed his true feelings toward Joseph just minutes ago, seems like there is nothing left for him to worry anymore.

He also had it clear in his mind the moment Joseph helped Aesop all the way back to his room. The look on the Photographer's eyes explained everything.

True love at its finest.

The Seer was about to open the door leading to his room when he saw Naib standing before the stairs, his hands curling into fists.

The Mercenary looked like he just had the worst breakdown of his life.

His eyes were red and swollen from too much crying, and he barely says a word.

Eli froze as the pair of blue eyes behind the blindfold had their attention on the Mercenary. He had lashed out and exposed every of the Ripper's mistakes to the White Guard without any hesitation earlier, but it all took a dark turn the moment the Ripper left.

I remember everything now.

It did not take anyone else's help for Eli to figure out that deep down inside the Mercenary's heart, the feelings he has for Jack stays.

"Eli."

As if Naib is reading his mind, the Seer heard his name being called.

"Naib...."

It was pure silence for the two men as they made their way to the lobby, for the sake of letting the Embalmer have the rest he deserves.

"Did I go overboard in that meeting?" The Mercenary said, letting out a huge desperate sigh.

Eli sighed. He has never been the one that is good at stuff like this, even after all the friendship bond he had shared with Naib.

Deep down inside he really has the urge to make Naib feel better, but at the same time he does not want to get so into the act that he will end up saying the wrong things, thus hurting the Mercenary even more.

Words hurt, and they kill.

"Naib, you did nothing wrong..." the Seer said, his lips letting out the words that had came into his mind that very moment.
"I mean- Jack had did something that is too much to be dealt normally, and you did your best to let him get his own act of redemption, and I, uh-"

Eli immediately stopped whatever he is saying, for the Mercenary's stare on him had changed into an irritated one.

"I did nothing but made him feel worse, Eli. Didn't you see the how he was the moment I had said those words? Like, I know he really did go out of the blue but this- I don't know anymore, man."

Eli had his whole attention on Naib as the Mercenary sighed, taking his hoodie off, revealing a curly brown hair and a scar that led all its way from the top of his head to where his left ear is.

Guess Aesop is right about him trying to recall his past.

The Mercenary had started as the one who lost his memories when he first came, with nothing in his head but playing in matches. He did not even realize the fact that the one he has always been looking for had became one of the hunters of Oletus.

"That scar..." Eli said, which was then cut off as Naib stood up, opening the huge red curtain leading to the other side of the manor.
"Naib. What are you doing?!"

The Mercenary gave nothing but a slight sigh.
"Doing what I should be doing."

Hunters' Side
Joseph sat on his bed, his ocean blue eyes staring at the mirror that stood nicely before his nightstand.

Let's make it happen.

It had came out of the person he had always yearned for.
The person who happened to be the water to his fire.

Ever since Claude's loss, I have been feeling nothing but hate. Loathe.

I had mourned for so long that I don't know how all emotions feel like.

But it was all gone, ever since I met the light of my life.

The Photographer wiped the strand of tear coming out of his right eye as he recalled the Embalmer's words the moment he helped him back to his room.

"Why would you be mad about yourself, Joseph? You're perfect in every way possible. You have won my heart and that is something I am more than proud to say."

The Photographer sobbed.

"But I'm a mess. How would you even bear to live with all my imperfections?"

"Joseph. No one is a mess but this world. You know that."

A slight thank you slipped out of Joseph's lips as he stared at his own reflection.

He had once been so broken and lost, but he had finally found himself back again.

                                ***
"Ripper-Bro?" Hastur's voice chimed in as the Feaster made his way to the dungeon where Jack had locked himself in.

"Get lost, Hastur." Jack said, his voice being coarse from too much crying.

"Jack. I know you are still feeling guilty regarding all that, but you do have to know that no one is hating you, okay? I know this might be weird since it had came out of my idiotic self, but you have to get my point."

Silence.

"Besides, someone is here to see you, Jack. He's coming in."

The Ripper perked his head up as he heard the dungeon door being latched away from its chain lock.

To his surprise, the one who stood before him was holding a few letters in hand, his brown hair being tousled by the slight breeze, the scar making its way through the Ripper's eyes.

The figure then rushed towards him, placing the Ripper's hand on the scar.

"I'm here. I'm back for you."