Chapter 20

Caitlyn fell silent, that was all we needed to know the answer.

"So- you do know what it is?" I asked curiously.

"Somewhat, when I was little- the White Knight statue, that one in particular seems to always be out to get me- sometimes, I swear its glaring at me! After hearing that story, I think the Queen of Hearts skipped out a lot on what Isaac did to the first Red Knight. Just the way she casually said he ruined the lives of everybody he loved- well it doesn't calm my nerves, like he's done worse" Caitlyn admitted. I was surprised to say the least. Caitlyn said it like we would think she was crazy. But in all honestly, it would make sense- part of the story was a legend- so what really happened to the first White Knight? From the sounds of it, Caitlyn was almost scared. And Caitlyn was rarely scared, she'd been the bravest person I'd ever known.  And the story itself was enough to make anyones skin crawl, especially if someone had told it in better detail, it was clear the Queen of Hearts despised Isaac Anderson, but what parts had she skipped about his story? He clearly didn't get his happily ever after, not like he deserved one- but its like his story was never finished.

I never realized how correct I was until later.

As we made our way to the gardens, Caitlyn seemed distracted. She was mumbling things like, kill, destiny, fight, and magic. Okay, fight, kill, and magic, seemed pretty normal for Caitlyn. But, destiny? Where did that come from? Caitlyn was a rebel through and through, and had always believe that there was no such thing as a one true destiny.  The world was filled with possibilities and opportunities after all.

Eventually, after we uttered the words, "hocus pocus", the Knight statue came into vision. But as we stepped into the gardens however, it was like time froze. Kitty Cheshire- who was falling out of her tree, had stopped in midair. The rest of Wonderland disappeared- it was just us, and the Knight statue- no matter how insane Wonderland was, this wasn't normal- something was wrong, very, very, wrong.  We were invisible to the rest of the world, and they were invisible to us. The statue looked different than the picture, it had a peg leg, and a weird mustache.

Suddenly, it started fogging, and the White Statue- no! It wasn't a statue...it was the White Knight! I realized, the statue hadn't been made of stone, no- it was an enchantment. Someone had frozen the original White Knight in time, and had stuck him in the garden instead of being a rational person and destroying him.

"Well, well- its been a long time since I've met one of my descendants" the Knight cooed mockingly. Caitlyn stiffened, as if the thought of being related to him made her sick to her stomach.

"Yet- you must die. Unfortunately for you, you just so happen to also be the descendant of the Red Knight, and I vowed, thousands of years ago- that the bloodline of the Red Knight would cease to exist!" he cackled.

"Oh didn't you know? The reason I hated the Red Knight so much, was that she was better than me! I know, sounds like a stereotypical egotistical pain in the butt. But still- I tried to be civil. I attempted to court her, and guess what? She turns me down for eternal maidenhood!" he growled.

"I mean- that doesn't sound so bad" Kim mumbled.

"Silence! You are to keep your mouth shut, girl. You have no place in this matter. Not even a drop of worthy blood in your body." he said warningly. She scoffed, but didn't speak further.

"Now- I have a proposition for you. You're my descendant, so I'll offer you a deal. Follow in the footsteps of the Red Knight and take eternal maidenhood, no children. That way, your bloodline will die once I kill your sister" he offered, like it was the most generous thing in the world. Caitlyn wasn't having it.

"Put even one finger on Delilah, I dare you!" she growled. He looked amused.

"Suit yourself then, now- you're a lady, so I'll be generous, pick your weapon, and fight to the death!" he announced.

"Sorry dude, but she doesn't fight with the rabble" I said, trying to make him angry.

"What are you doing?" Caitlyn muttered to me.

"Just follow my lead, I know his type. Make him angry, take advantage of it." I explained, whispering.

"Get your sword ready, I've seen this type of enchantment, only his own blood can kill him." 

"RABBLE!?!??!" he yelled, enraged. Man, this guy was easy to tick off.

"You hold no power here. We're in the 21st century, get with the times old man!" Caitlyn taunted. His face grew redder with every insult.

"Yeah, no offense man, but I liked you better as a statue. Why not do us all a favor and save us the pain of hearing you speak" 

"You're the first White Knight? Jeez, well I'm glad each White Knight generation has gotten better, you sure my mother is related to you?" 

"Awh, you gonna cry? Dude- whats with the fake peg leg, wannabe pirate" 

"Well that was just a waste of a perfectly good curse"

"Hon, no one can make your sword fighting skills work. You're holding the hilt wrong!" 

With that final insult, he charged us. We side stepped, while Kim brought a rock down on his head. Jocie stomped on his head for good measure. 

"Well that was easier than expected." Jocie said. Great, she jinxed us.

"Guess again" Isaac growled, swiping at us, throwing us off our feet.  He got up swiftly and approached Caitlyn. But she was ready for his attack. He swung his sword, if she hadn't moved, he'd have decapitated her.  But she didn't anticipate his next move, and didn't come out as lucky.  There was a gash on her arm where his sword had cut. 

I don't know what came over me.

But I felt myself surge forward, and jump on his back. Kim and Jocie tackled his legs to bring him down.

"AIM FOR HIS HEART" I yelled at Caitlyn. She cautiously picked up his fallen sword, and approached her ancestor, with a look of deep hatred in her eyes, she jabbed the sword at him. And well, I'll spare you the details.  

Caitlyn gave a scream of pain. She doubled over, and we rushed to her aid. I grabbed her arm, the wound- of course, it was cursed.

"His sword is cursed, it seemed to have taken a toll on her once he died. I'd only seen this curse once before. 

"We need to find her father, or her sister- someone else with the Red Knight's bloodline! This wound can only be cured by a relative of her dads side- SOMEONE FIND A REDFORD, ANY REDFORD" I ordered the other two.  They ran off to the Redford household, and I stayed put.  I made sure not to touch the wound, she had a max 24 hours before the curse took action. So this was what the prophecy meant. If I touched it, not only would it make the curse act quicker- it would bind my own soul, and the others within a 10 mile radius of me, to Caitlyn's. If I touched the gash, and she died- then so would I.