BURN OUT, FADE AWAY. / 13

It's better to burn out than to fade away.

Dave no longer expected midnight calls from the singer, they all thought he was getting better, especially with the rise in fame; he seemed to be feeling better, but that was all a lie. It was a mask; simply one big lie to make up for his already terrible reputation, especially after the whole drug situation, where the media itself found out about what he did behind closed doors; all heroin and all that crap.

It all seemed normal again until one particular late night when Dave was dozing off, wearily and uninterestedly watching whatever was on TV, all until the phone started ringing, and he didn't even hesitate before answering.

Dave yawned and rubbed his eyes, mumbling a quiet "hello?"

"Dave." It's a breathy voice that answers, a weak one; one that would indicate that the person can crack under even the slightest pressure, one that would break and soften if somebody scolded them. It was none other than the singer himself, speaking of the devil.

"Kurt?" Dave mumbled, concern rising in his voice along with slight anguish; sympathy for the so-called friend of his. "Are you okay? What happened?" He crooned softly, taking note of the meek voice.

"It's getting worse, Dave," Kurt laughed sadly, breath almost hitching as he choked up and— when he spoke once again it sounded like he was crying. "The abuse. Do you know how many... How many bruises there are on my arms?"

These words repeated in Dave's head; a loop, as if he couldn't believe what he was hearing. It was all Courtney. It was all her fault.

"Oh god. She's hurting you again," Dave mumbled. "Kurt, this can't continue, you've got to do something. Please just leave her stupid ass, she isn't going to stop hurting you, she never will. Please at least consider it."

Kurt let out another weak, forced laugh, as if he was laughing at himself.

"I can't," he laughed once more, another pathetic laugh. "She loves me, she's just a little moody sometimes.. You know how she can be sometimes, she's just not that good at controlling herself. She loves me, really."

Dave's eyes softened.

"The real question is do you love her?" Dave sighed. "If she loved you then she wouldn't hurt you, she wouldn't lie to you. Kurt, she's manipulating you! Just think about it."

The blond took a sharp breath and slowly exhaled, pausing to think.

"I—" he stammered. "I don't know. Can I at least stay with you for a while? Until I make up my mind.."

Dave smiled a small, soft smile to nobody in particular, perhaps in victory more or less.

"Of course," Dave agreed. "Want me to pick you up? You can stay for as long as you want, don't worry."

"Now would be nice, yeah," The latter mumbled. "I'm sorry if I'm too much of a burden.."

"You're not a burden at all, man," Dave reassured gently, shifting to sit up straight and stretch the tiredness out of his body. "I'll be right there, okay? Pack some clothes if you wanna stay here for a while, I can cover the rest, don't worry."

"But— you've done so much for me lately, I don't know how to pay you back for all that."

It's a genuine voice that makes Dave smile a rather sad smile, once more.

"You don't have to do anything, jeez. Go pack, I'll be there soon, alright? We'll talk about this later," Dave explained, now trying to slide the bright orange hoodie back on all while still holding the telephone.

"Okay, okay," Kurt chuckled and for once you could basically hear him smile. "I'll see you then, right?"

"Yeah yeah, see you then," Dave laughed, putting the phone back in place, causing it to hang up.

He finally slid the hoodie on, adjusted it and grabbed his car keys, then practically sprinted to the door to only get there faster.

He didn't know how he'd do it, but he'll have to convince his friend to not only give up on his horrible wife but also stay for good, and it'll probably take a lot of convincing, but Dave might just know exactly how to start.

————————————————————

more emo shit oh no
anyways I might make this a twoshot to o
MIGHT
I can barely keep up with any of the things I write anyway

word count: 741