coffee shop

snowflakes pelted in his golden blond locks, the blond shivered as he stepped into the warmth of the cafe, the bell jingling, welcoming him warmly— literally.

dave leaned against the counter, flipping through some stupid magazine, glancing up at the door and noticing kurt, a smug grin slowly splaying on his lips as he closed the thin magazine and placed it on the counter.

"cold out, huh?" the brunet called out as kurt approached. the small blond was a regular customer in the coffee shop, dave was a fairly new barista, but he managed to get along with kurt as if they've known each other for years now.

"freezin'," kurt muttered, slightly unzipping his winter jacket, relieved as the warmth of the shop submerged him, the snowflakes in his hair melting and dampening it.

"the usual, angel?" dave chirped, giving the latter a not-so-subtle once-over, wetting his lips.

he had learnt that kurt kinda have a thing for nicknames, he found that out not long ago. he's been calling the older 'angel' ever since then, just to tease his new friend.

cheeks flushing, kurt nodded, digging into his pocket for the money, but it was a struggle for sure. he was almost drowning in the jacket.

dave noticed that and he smiled, slowly shaking his head. "forget the money, it's on the house."

kurt arched his brows, removing his hand from his pocket and nodding unsurely. "thank you!"

dave shrugged. "my pleasure, find a place to sit and i'll keep you some company."

kurt grinned and nodded once more, shuffling away to find a place to sit down.

and dave didn't take too long, 10 minutes in and he was already sitting across from kurt, handing him his usual coffee.

kurt was thankful, but he was a little unsure about dave sitting and talking to him. "aren't you supposed to—"

"break," dave cut in, knowing exactly what kurt's question was gonna be. "pretty convenient, i've been working since eight in the morning."

kurt's brows arched again as he took a careful sip of his coffee. dave couldn't help but think of how cute kurt was when he'd get all surprised and stuff, let alone how cute he looked in that big ass winter jacket.

"aren't you tired?" the blond asked almost sympathetically, dave snorted.

"no, not at all. just a little bummed out cause i had to wake up too early, i barely slept tonight," the barista sighed. "other than that, the cafe's been pretty empty today, people are out buying christmas presents and stuff."

"so you've been basically doing nothing all day today?" kurt chuckled.

"yeah, exactly!" dave beamed. "whatever, i get to relax and shit. it better than tending lines upon lines of customers. i'm the only one working the shift today anyway, all cause of the lack of customers."

"doesn't money get a little tight because of that?" the older tilted his head to the side, practically gazing at dave in admiration and thoughtfulness.

"a little, but it's enough to survive," the brunet clarified. "doesn't matter, i deserve a little break too."

"i agree," kurt murmured with a small, weak grin.

"enough about me, i never really got what your job is. tell me about it?"

kurt huffed a laugh. "bold of you to assume i even have a job!" he joked and it made dave laugh. kurt felt like he was on cloud nine already, forget the freezing cold outside, he was all warmed up now. "no, i'm kidding. i don't know if it counts as a job, but i play in this small band."