#4 - Yamaguchi × Kageyama

A/n: I'll be covering all the first year × Yamaguchi pairs hehe yachi after this--- I'd appreciate if you could vote arigato no media again bc i dont wanna take people's art without permission or without credits

Yamaguchi exhaled, the puff of his warm breath condensing in the cold winter-upcoming weather. Winter had come earlier for an unbeknownst reason, and it had started snowing really heavily during class. Most schools were evacuated and students, faculty and staff were allowed to go home, but Karasuno High School got the notice a little too late from the government, and were snowed in shortly after school, during club activities time.

"Is... is it just me or is it getting c-colder?" Hinata's teeth chattered as he spoke. Yamaguchi waved a hand around in the air, testing the temperature.

"Ah. Did anyone like, install air conditioning? Isn't it already cold enough?" Tsukishima tutted disapprovingly, then cocked an eyebrow as he saw white fluff falling from the sky from the high windowsin the gym.

"What- guys. It's snowing. What the f--"

"TSUKIshima. Language." Daichi interrupted.

"Shoot, it's really snowing." Daichi walked towards the gym doors, attempting to push them open. No such luck. Snow had already been piling on and on for awhile. 

"Damn. Amazing." Tsukishima laughed dryly.

Kageyama just said, "Well, all the more time for us to practice. Let's continue." Everyone reverted back to the spiking drills they were doing, with Hinata, Nishinoya, and Tsukishima to recieve the spiked balls to train their recieve. It's almost Yamaguchi's turn to spike Kageyama's set.

He watched as Kageyama performed a perfect toss like it was nothing, with grace and just a push of the wrist, the ball was sent in a perfect curve for a normal quick to the spiker, Asahi. Asahi smashed it down, but Nishinoya recieved it with a rolling recieve, smirking proudly at his senior, before he attempted to explain receives to Tsukishima and Hinata.

"Crap. It's my turn." Yamaguchi paled, but then he took a deep breath, focused on the fold of the tape line, before he tossed a ball at Kageyama and began his approaching run after the ball left Kageyama's hand. 'Third tempo. Take it nice and slow, Tadashi." Yamaguchi aimed to the best of his abilities, the sidelines. It was out, just by a tiny bit. Nishinoya encouraged him to try the same thing again next turn.

Kageyama Tobio was accustomed to setting for Hinata, afterall, they were always in one team, be it practice, or matches. Yamaguchi was a person who was opposite of Hinata. Sure, they had the same determination to pull through, but when he set for Yamaguchi Tadashi, it felt like he was doing the throwing up motion of the ball for the server, and the server was about to serve, rather than a spiker spiking the ball.

He noticed Yamaguchi, as he did Hinata previously. He always noticed the people who didn't particularly shine twenty-four seven, unlike current Hinata and Tsukishima with his salty insults. Yamaguchi seemed to follow Tsukishima everywhere, but lately, the gentle boy who had a way with his words unlike the other three male first years had been having quite a few girls approach him, holding out crisp white letters with a red heart marked on it.

The soft dark olive haired boy wth tea coloured eyes had always had trouble rejecting them.

Kageyama had noticed for a while now, but Yamaguchi tended to draw people to him, in that he's quite except when talking about his bestfriend. Was he perhaps lonely? Kageyama didn't know. What Kageyama also didn't know what, that a string had connected his heart to Yamaguchi. It was one of the thousands of the strings which made up Kageyama's heart, but it was a string nonetheless, and the string got enhanced with strength over time.

"Yamaguchi." It was now time for rest, to conserve their energy, so they didn't starve from lack of dinner due to being locked in. Daichi had turned off the gym lights and used his keychain flashlight as a snaller light instead, so everyone could observe the sky.

Kageyama, of course, had gone to inquire around about how he could improve his sets on a more personal level for everyone.

"Ehhhhh? Uh, personally I think your sets are... fine?" Yamaguchi answered with a question of sorts. He didn't know what to say. To his surprise. Kageyama took him seriously, and settled down infront of him.

"By fine...?" The sun was setting, dipping beneath the beautiful horizon, clouds slowly drifting in the pale blue sky, snow still falling. Kageyama drifted off in his sentence, expecting Yamaguchi to follow up. Yamaguchi swallowed. Kageyama followed Yamaguchi's Adam's apple with his eyes, wondering what all those girls saw in him.

"I like your sets the way they are, Kageyama-kun, it's fine...?" He ended with a questioning tone again.

"Why do you sound like you're asking me the question?" Kageyama laughed at the oddity. In that moment, the remains of sunlight hit Kageyama's face, and Yamaguchi peered at Kageyama's tan skin under the hollow white light which was thinning as the sun set.

"Uh... well... I don't know." Yamaguchi brushed one of his loose locks of fringe behind his ears, but it slipped out again. Kageyama reached a hand out unconsciously.

"Shoot. Sorry."

"Uh, it's fine." Awkward silence ensued.

"I just thought, maybe I should help. I mean, you're cute and all but it distracts your playing a little, I would think." Kageyama shrugs as he finished his sentence, and the next moment, his statement dawns upon him.

"So I'm..." Yamaguchi left an empty blank, and a light pink coloured Kageyama's face.

"Well. Thank you? I mean you don't look half bad yourself." Yamaguchi smiles awkwardly. What was he doing? He cries internally about his silliness. Kageyama's lips eventually quirk into a half-smile.

"Thanks." Kageyama shifted to behind Yamaguchi, and the two of them just sat there, leaning against in other in silence, both smiling, both appreciating the tranquility and sereneness of the moment,

both relaxed into each other.