kuroken

It was 1 am in the morning.

Kuroo switched on his phone after hearing a notification while doing his chemistry homework.

kozume:
kuroo
i have something to say
.
i like you

Kuroo immediately went online, and read it in time just before Kenma deleted it. Kenma saw the ticks turns blue, and debated on sending anymore texts. He decided against it and went to sleep after that.

'What?' Kuroo thought. He didn't read it wrongly, surely he didn't. He closed his chemistry textbook and placed it on top of his homework. Homework had to wait. He fell asleep thinking of Kenma's texts.

-

"Kenm-"

"Ah! Kuroo-kun, Kenma has already left!" Kuroo raised an eyebrow. Kenma had always been the one late to wake up. He thanked Kenma's mother regardless and made for school. In school, Kuroo had wanted to speak with Kenma befote lessons began, but Kenma was in the toilet, according to his classmates. A frustrated Kuroo could only go to class anticipating the moment he could speak with Kenma.

Finally, lunch arrived, as did Kenma outside of Kuroo's class like he always did to wait for Kuroo before heading to lunch.

"Kuroo-san. Let's go." Kuroo got up from his seat, feeling a little confused after having been avoided the whole morning. "Kenma! Can we talk before we eat?" Kenma looked up at Kuroo, sighs, and then nods. They took a seat on the grass patch outside under a gingko tree. Kenma retrieved a packet of pan bread from his pokcet and started eating. Kuroo just stared on in confusion.

"I thought we were gonna talk?"

"I knew you'd say that so I got sime bread beforehand. Here." The shorter boy tossed a packet at the taller one, and Kuroo fumbled the catch, dropping the packet on the floor.

"So... about what you sent me yesterday night."

"That wasn't me, it was my cousin who was staying over."

"I didn't see any cousins this morning when I came to pick you up to go to school."

"Well, they'd already left."

Kuroo raised an eyebrow and discreetly phoned Kenma's mother while continuing the conversation. He then turned on speaker when he heard a small click noise indicating Kenma's mother had picked up the phone.

"Are you sure? Who came over to your house yesterday?"

"Well, just my cousins, aunt and uncle."

"Kenma-kun, why are you lying to Kuroo-kun? They came last week!"

Kuroo thanked Kenma's mother and hung up, staring Kenma in the eye.

"Seriously, Kenma?" Kuroo smirked.

The tips of Kenma's ears blushed red, and Kuroo's smirk only grew.

"What if I said I liked you back?" Kenma wasn't trying to make eye contact with Kuroo at this point, rather, he couldn't. The redness in his ears were starting to spread towards his cheekbones and neck, and Kuroo only laughed at the cuteness of the sight.

"Kenma, I like you."

Kenma gave no response apart from continuosly nibbling on his bread and the blushing intensifying.

"Kenma, I like you a lot."

"Kenma~! I like you! I, Kuroo, like pudding head Kenma!"

"S-Stop that."

"Oya~~~ Is that a stutter I hear? Is the calm and composed Kenma nervous? Don't worry, fear not, little boy, for I too!" Kenma gasps as Kuroo grabs Kenma's wrist, putting Kenma's hand where Kuroo's heart is, and he lets out a long shaky breath when he realises that maybe the taller boy was just as nervous about this as he was, feeling the loud and fast thumping of Kuroo's heartbeats.

"I, too, am nervous." Kuroo flashes a genuine smile, and Kenma blushes.

"I... like you too."
It was the softest of whispers, almost blown away by the gentle breeze which swayed the gingko tree leaves, but it was enough for Kuroo.

The two spend the rest of their break holding hands subtly under the table as they have their lunch in the cafeteria, Kuroo smiling from ear to ear.