24 - News of the World

JOHN DEACON

"You're in a terrible mood."  Veronica spoke after I muttered for the tenth time since we set foot in Glasgow, Julia and Freddie had not shown up for the flight.

"But of course! Where is Freddie?"  I said grumpy as Ronnie tenderly stroked her belly.

"Sometimes I think I married a grumpy granny."  I rolled my eyes and could hear Brian chuckling softly behind us, we had just got off the bus that couldn't stop in front of the theater where the show would be which made us have to walk for 10 minutes.  "Do you really think Freddie won't show up? Frankly John ... don't you know him?"

"I know him and that's the problem! I know he's crazy enough-"

"Didn't you tell him Ronnie?"  Brian appeared beside me as we walked.

I frowned at him, which I didn't know?

"About what?"  I asked raising my left eyebrow and Brian smiled funny.

So annoying!

"Freddie and Julia arrived yesterday and they finally had their first date."  Ronnie spoke with a shrug as she continued walking.

"And why didn't we all come together?"  I asked looking for my packet of cigarettes in my jacket pocket.

Brian put an arm around my shoulder and patted him.

"Because you think Juls is a child, mate."  He said having a good time clearly.

Not that I thought Julie was a child ... but she was so helpless sometimes, and well - I felt like her big brother!  Of course, like every good - and wise - big brother I was terrified to think of the mess Freddie - my best friend - could cause in her life!

"I don't act like this all the time."  I said lighting the cigarette at the corner of my lips and Ronnie gave me a deadly look.

"So responsible, but it does damage your health! What had we said about smoking?"  She scolded and Brian returned to the side of Chrissie and Roger who were laughing about something as Paul followed us silently along with Reid and Beach.

"That I would decrease the amount - and guess what ... this is the first of the day!"  I spoke slowly swallowing the smoke which made Ronnie speed up and walk in front of me.

Ok i'm forced to admit i'm really in a bad mood today.

Reid and Beach headed for the hotel as we continued our journey to the Apollo Theater.  I hope at least for the rehearsal, Freddie would arrive on time.

Seeing the sign on the theater sign, I searched for a trash bin where I blacked out and threw my cigarette away and walked back to my wife.

"I'm sorry for today's bad mood, honey." I said offering my hand for her to hold.

She looked at me and then at my hand and took it without saying anything.

Pregnant! I never know what to expect from them! This is going to be the second and last baby!

We walked to the back of the theater where an employee was waiting to open the theater for us to enter - had Julia begun to coordinate the team to assemble the equipment?

The man opened the door and we all entered together, the silence suddenly settled in what was strange, the theater was decorated with lilies and candles that were already completely melted.

"What happened here?" I wondered when Roger and Brian stopped beside me also analyzing the romantic setting.

Ronnie and Chrissie settled into a bench near the side entrance as I started to walk around the theater accompanied by Roger and Brian.