Fright of Passage

Disclaimer: I do not own anything from How to train your dragon

[Flashback 10 years ago]

Berk was in terror as the skies were filled with strange bright lights. The time that all vikings know too well has arrived.

"Aurvandil's Fire! All Berkians to the safety of your homes!"

"It's too late! The Flightmare is here! The Flightmare is here!"

"Oh, don't look at it!"

"Save yourselves! The Flightmare is upon us!"

But one of the Berkians wasn't afraid of the Flightmare. The brave warrior was known as Fearless Finn Hofferson, Astrid Hoffersons' uncle. With his sword and shield ready, the man was about to go confront the Flightmare when he spotted his niece holding an axe her size, clearly having the same idea as her uncle. Finn stopped her "Oh, no, you don't Astrid. This is not a battle for you. Not yet anyway. You wait here. Your Uncle Finn is just going to make sure this nasty dragon doesn't destroy Berk again." Reluctantly Astrid stood there and watched her uncle run off to confront the Flightmare.

Fearless Finn ran towards the Flightmare, shouting at it. "Here I am, ungodly beast! Fearless Finn Hofferson! I've been waiting ten years for this moment. Come and get me, if you dare!" He caught the dragons' attention and the dragon immediately attacked it, seeming to give out some sort of mist. But for some reason, instead of trying to dodge or attack the Flightmare, Fearless Finn just stood there, seemingly paralyzed.

The Flightmare got away and some of the vikings saw what happened.

"It's Fearless Finn! He just... froze!"

"Don't say anything. The little one will hear."

"It's gonna take a lot more than that wee axe, Astrid." Gobber said to Astrid.

From that day, Finn Hofferson lost his reputation for being fearless and gained a new reputation that followed him to his grave. Astrid promised herself that she would fight the Flightmare and restore her familys' honor.

[End Flashback]

The time has come for Aurvandil's Fire and Astrid had wasted no time preparing for the Flightmare, to the concern of some of her friends.

"You want some of this?!" Astrid exclaimed, swinging her axe at a target. "That's right! Who's next?!"

Hiccup, deciding to be brave, stepped in to try to calm Astrid down. "I-I'm pretty sure that- yeah, I-I think you got them. All of them." He said gesturing to the destroyed targets littering the Academy.

"Astrid's been killing inanimate objects all day." Fishlegs pointed out.

"She also did that yesterday. I had to hide my bow and arrows from her." Raeda chimed in.

"She's really wound up about the Flightmare." Hiccup explained.

"She's preparing herself for a fight." Hicca added.

"Too bad she's wasting her time." Snotlout snorted. "When the Flightmare comes, the Hoffersons freeze. Right, Astrid? I mean, you are a..."

He was interrupted when Astrid swung her axe at him, which landed on the wall, just inches away from the Jorgenson boys' face. "...Hofferson."

"Word to the wise Snotlout, keep your mouth shut about the Flightmare thing if you want to live." Hicca advised.

"Okay, okay, let's take a deep breath. Just because Aurvandil's Fire is coming, doesn't mean the Flightmare is, too." Hiccup pointed out.