- 29 -

I better have amazing calves after this. In one day, I've run more than my whole entire life.

I slow my run to a walk. I want to say it's been five minutes since I left the diner, or where the diner used to be. I did move into the woods so that oncoming cars wouldn't see me. Nevertheless, I was still going the same way, at least, I think so. Truth is - I don't know.

I don't know anything

My soul is tired. Does that make sense? I feel like you have to be in that situation in order to understand exactly what I mean. I'm tired of running, I'm tired of fighting. I'm racking my brain to come up with anything. I've lived here my entire life, but when it comes down to it. I'm a stranger to my surroundings. That's a scary place to be.

I wonder if Cole is thinking of me? Does he even notice me gone?

I feel a small ping in my chest. I really do miss him. I try not to miss him. I try to push his memory aside but in the end. He's always on my mind. I swear the image of his blues eye is glued to the inside of my eyelids. It makes it even more painful that I can't see him, can't touch him.

I'd give anything to be next to him in the car like I was just a few days ago. We were just talking and I was safe. I didn't think anyone wanted to kill me- or did I? It doesn't matter, I was with him. 

I stop, hearing a noise apart from the leaves under my feet.

Sirens- Police Sirens

Where there are police sirens, there are connections.

I peek out of the trees. Looking for the police car. The lack of street lamps makes it very difficult to truly understand my surroundings. A building with lights beaming through the windows is what I settle on.

The smile is evident on my face. I make my way closer to the building, trying to make out the sign in front of it. Although I still couldn't read the sign, I get close enough to see police cars lined in rows in the parking lot.

Police Station

***

I swear the glass doors are way heavier than they should be. Of course, my struggle with the door brought a lot of attention myself. That and the large amount of blood on my shirt; some mine, some not.

"Ma'am, ma'am are you okay?" One officer opens the door, helping me to a seat.

"I'm fine," I breath out, the officer was very close to my face. I kinda just need him to back up a little bit.

"Someone call an ambulance!" 

I didn't see the person who shouted it, but I assume another officer.

"No!"

"Ma'am we're going to get you medical attention, okay?" The officer in front of me speaks.

"No, please don't," I remove myself from the officer's hands and stand from my seat. "I just need a phone."

The officers, whose name tag reads Moreno, looks at me hesitantly before leading me to a desk.

"The area code is 840." He shoots me a tight-lipped smile before going to whisper with the front attendant.

Let me get out of here before they do something gallant. I picked up the black business phone from the desk. Immediately freezing after placing it to my ear.

I don't know his number

The dial tone mocks me, laughing, I may start to dial but I have no one to dial. I place it back down, embarrassed. It doesn't help that I can feel the eyes of officers glued to me. Watching my every move. I know they want to know what's going through my mind right now, what lead me here. I also know that they won't help me unless I ask for it.