Epilogue

___

"Can we speed this up? I have a wedding to go to."

I deadpan at the group of men in front of me, eyeing the gorgeous engagement that sat so pretty on my ring finger.

"Wedding?" One of the men repeats, "Whose?"

"Mine"

I nod at the guards behind me. Normally I would kill them myself, but I'm just simply not in the mood. I'm extremely happy today. I had to mask that for the meeting, but today was the day every little girl has dreamed of.

My wedding

Even better...

It was the start of a new life with the man I love

I walk out of the nice building, signaling to the guards outside that the deal didn't go through. They knew that already though. I went into this meeting expecting to be the only one to leave it. These men have been pests in my ass since I became a partner in the business side of the Mafia. They've been double-dipping with money loans from not only our company but others as well.

Foolish men, really

Haven't they ever been taught not to play with a mafia leader's money?

"Thank you, Smith." I greet as I sit in the back of a black SUV.

He smiles brightly at me through the rear mirror, "Are you excited, Miss Vargas?"

"Please," I wave him off, "Call me Mrs. Black, it has a better ring to it."

***

I was staring at myself in the full-length mirror in front of me.

I looked...pretty

I'm standing in this gorgeous wedding dress, my face laced with skillful makeup, and the small smile in the mirror never seemed to falter

I'm standing in this gorgeous wedding dress, my face laced with skillful makeup, and the small smile in the mirror never seemed to falter. Before this time in my life, I always avoided mirrors. Makeup would be to cover up my bruises and the only smile I could muster was a fake one.

I take a moment to adore my surroundings.

The wedding was to take place at the gang house, as all mafia weddings do. We were to have the ceremony in the beautiful garden behind the house. I was in a small greenhouse type shed. The natural light bounced off the walls in here. It had a very calm aesthetic.

Which is helpful because I'm very nervous

Despite my rushing feelings, genuine happiness pulsates through my veins. I am so blessed to be in my situation right now. I feel as though I have come to terms with my horrible past and childhood. This has caused me to allow myself to live in the moment.