Chapter 1//Connor

Connor

______________

6 days 23 hours 57 minutes and 55 seconds until I meet my soul mate. It's strange thinking that after 22 years of waiting for him, I'm finally going to meet him in a little less then a week. My clock, four pairs of numbers that look to be tattooed on my wrist that change as I get closer to meeting my soul mate, suddenly changed about three weeks ago. Your clock can change depending on the decisions that your soul mate makes. He, I'm convinced that my soul mate is a man, must have changed something in his normal routine so that our lives will intertwine sooner.

It's so strange thinking that he's out there somewhere just going on with life. We have to just deal with the fact that we don't get to choose. It always works well except for those people born with straight zeros or those people who meet their soul mate only see that the other person has numbers still. People often have sex with people that aren't their soul mates because they are so sexually frustrated. They don't date they just fuck.

I get out of bed after glancing at my wrist again. I need to get up and get ready for work. I work as a photographer for a big shot company about three blocks from my cozy fourth floor apartment. We interview celebrities and take pictures, host parties, lots of other things that I don't really know about because its not my job to know. I rub my eyes as I walk into the bathroom for a shower. I twist the cold knob of the shower before I slip out of my boxers. By the time I'm ready to get in the shower it's just the right temperature. I shower quickly knowing that I slept in a little longer than I usually do.

I step out of the shower, drying my fit body off, as I hear my phone ring on top of my towel. I see the name Paul FB lighting up my phone and I sigh. Why am I still talking to my fuck buddy? I'm six days away from meeting my soul mate this needs to stop. I really don't know how he hasn't noticed the dwindling numbers on my wrist.I don't make an effort to hide them. I don't really understand why people do hide them. I see nothing wrong with flaunting how long you have until you meet your other half. I click the accept button as I walk out of the bathroom to find clothes.

"Hi Connor." Paul says and I can tell that he's just woken up by the way his voice sounds. It's rough and low unlike his normal voice. Which is rather high pitched and extremely stereotypical gay sounding. He's a great guy but he's not my soul mate. I can't really stand spending time around him other than when we are having sex.

"Hi, Paul. I can't talked for long I'm getting ready for work." I hold the phone with my shoulder as I slip on my boxers and a pair of light washed skinny jeans. I look around my room for a suitable shirt as Paul starts talking to me.

"Connor I just need to talk to you about something. I know I should do this in person but I think it's better if we don't. I saw the numbers on your wrist Connor. I know we need to stop. It's been fun but I guess this is goodbye. I wish you the best, really. Bye." he hangs up without letting me get another word in the conversation. Okay well that went a lot better then I thought it would. This is so much easier than having a somewhat awkward face to face chat about something that should not be as casual as people make it seem sometimes. I throw my phone on the bed seeing that I have a few messages from various friends. I finish getting dressed making sure I'm fresh, cute and functional.

I grab my phone walking to the kitchen as I check my texts. Zoe, Tyler, Ricky. I'll get back to them after work nothing looks too urgent. I make myself a simple breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast then I clean up. I make sure I have everything I need before I lock the door and head down to my car. The red paint is shining brightly in the hot Los Angles sun as I slide into my car. I pull my keys out and start the car immediately reaching for the air conditioner. Sweaty is not cute.

I drive the three blocks to work parking in the spot reserved for me. I gather my equipment and hurry inside not wanting to deal with the heat any longer than necessary. I see Zoe sitting at the front desk when I walk into the building. A lot of my friends and I work here together. Tyler, Zoe, Alfie, Caspar, Joe and a lot more that I can't think of at the moment. We all work for two Brits called Dan Howell and Phil Lester. None of us have ever met them other than Tyler but apparently Dan and Phil are soul mates. At least Tyler said it seemed like it. He didn't see their clocks. I think Tyler said that they both made a point of hiding their clocks.