/Chapter двадесет и четири/ ring around the rosie

[𝙃𝙚𝙮 𝙨𝙤𝙧𝙧𝙮 𝙖/𝙣, 𝙬𝙖𝙩𝙩𝙥𝙖𝙙 𝙞𝙨 𝙛𝙣 𝙪𝙥 𝙖𝙜𝙖𝙞𝙣, 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙘𝙤𝙢𝙚𝙨 𝘼𝙁𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙣𝙚𝙭𝙩 𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧. 𝙏𝙤 𝙗𝙚 𝙘𝙡𝙚𝙖𝙧 𝙩𝙝𝙚 '𝙢𝙖𝙢𝙖 𝙮 𝙥𝙖𝙥𝙖' 𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙘𝙤𝙢𝙚𝙨 𝙗𝙚𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙤𝙣𝙚, 𝙨𝙤 𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙤𝙣𝙚 𝙛𝙞𝙧𝙨𝙩. 𝙏𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙨𝙝𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙗𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙡𝙖𝙨𝙩 𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙗𝙚𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙚 𝙞𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙧𝙢𝙞𝙨𝙨𝙞𝙤𝙣 𝙞𝙞]

Ring around the rosie,
pocket full of posies

Joan and Odette were already one year old, and she has yet to introduce them to her parents.
She barely gets time with them, Eugenia keeping them from her. She desperately wanted to take them to meet their grandparents.
She hasn't seen them in so long, that she didn't even get to tell them in person that she was pregnant. It had to be through a letter. And they didn't respond.

But each time she'd ask or tell Charles about visiting her parents, he'd say they were in surgery or treatments.

But today, she decided to go visit them, without telling Charles.
And if they were in treatment then she'd stay there till she could see them. But she wouldn't leave till she saw her parents.
She went and brought flowers, pastries, and photos of their granddaughters.

But when she asked to see them, they said they didn't have anyone under their names. After a while, with them looking through their archives to find their names, they informed her that they were dead.
The moment those words reached her, she zoned out.

She didn't take a moment to gather herself, instead, she raced back home. She went to Charles' study, slamming the door closed. 

"Amelia, what's wrong?" He stands up quickly with worry.

"How long?", she said, not looking at him.

"Excuse me?"

She looked at him, directly into his eyes.

"How long have you known my parents died?"

His eyes widen, caught, "Amelia, please-"

He tried to hold her, but she backed away.

"Tell me the truth Charles." She clenches her teeth.

Unable to look her in the eye, he looks down, "Three years."

Carena's eyes widen. Her eyes were red and glazed with tears.

Charles is quick to defend himself, "I'm sorry, you got pregnant and I didn't want-"

"You had three years! Three fucking years to tell me they died! I didn't even give them a funeral. Where are they even buried?!", she yells at him, waving her hands angrily.

"They were cremated. But-"

Carena gasps, a hurt deep in the chest, "Cremated! So I can't even go visit them! You had no right to do that! Any of it!"m she yells as she flings her hands up.

He closes his eyes and starts to plead, "Amelia please-"

"My name is Carena Beauport!"

"I didn't want to lose you!", he screams, throwing his hands up.

Carena looks at him, stunned.

"What are you talking about?! I'm your wife! Mother of your children! What more do you want from me?!"

He races his finger at her, "Don't pretend that you wouldn't have left me the moment your parents died! The only reason you married me is to save them!"

Her face turned serious, trying to bury her anger.

"Well, you didn't tell me, so I guess we'll never know. Maybe I would have stayed. But I'm sure as hell not going to now, and neither are my girls."

She walked to the door but before she could even open the door, he stops her.

"And where are you going to go. You have no friends or family, you have nowhere else to go." His eyes are cold as he grabs onto her arm.

She glares at him, "You made sure of that, didn't you? But I don't care. I'm not going to stay another day here."

"I know you might not hold any bit of sympathy for me, but think of our daughters. You won't be able to take care of them yourself. Do you really want to make them go through what you did? Not to mention mother has gotten close to them, she'll try to keep them, and knowing her, she won't stop until she's won."

"Are you blackmailing me?" The rage in her eyes could burn all of Gotham.

"Of course not. I'm just saying that it's in your best interest to stay. If not for me then for our children. We both want a long, happy life with them."

Carena grips the handle tightly, she closes her eyes, and sighs as she lets go of the handle.
She turns back around, pours herself a glass of Charles' cognac, and takes a long sip.

"I'll be sleeping in my own bed from now on. I don't want your mother breathing down my neck every day. And I want to at the very least take the girls to the park every day, by myself." 

"Of course, I understand."

He tried to caress her, but she just turned away.

"Don't. I'll never forgive you for what you've done."

She left, she went and took all her belonging to another room, the farthest away from Charles'.

She had been getting closer to Charles. Close to the way she used to feel the first time they met.

But his eyes no longer held the stars or were warm like a fresh cup of coffee on a rainy day. His eyes were coals, the ash and smoke from them burned her eyes and her lungs. Those eyes made her cry.
She hated those painful coal eyes. 

After moving everything to her new room, she sits by the window. She drinks another glass of cognac as she looks at her daughters who were outside with her grandmother.

Ashes, ashes, 
We all fall down