Chapter 9: Chain Reaction

The following morning, Hiro woke up after a long night of questions, both from Goro and himself.

He was certain, that he would be seeing Zero two again.

And he would definitely be asking about how she labeled him.

And thus, another day of our story began.

≈ θ ≈

'Where did you disappear off to, last night?!' quietly shouted Ichigo across "their" table. 'You just vanished from the common room last night! Again!'

Hiro chuckled and replied with,

'I was busy with something.' he said, looking at his plate of breakfast with his ever present distracted look.

Ichigo didn't look convinced and continued eating her breakfast. Goro noticed this and felt obliged to comfort her.

'Don't worry, Ichigo!' he reassured. 'He wasn't out for long!'

Ichigo was put slightly at ease.

'Okay...' she pouted. 'But you're up for some explaining later!'

The rest of their breakfast was full conversations about schoolwork, homework, ramblings about Zorome, and Miku counter striking all of his claims and boasts.

They soon left to their classes as they had finished getting ready for the upcoming day

Ichigo had left to get Zero two, as she seemed to be sleeping in, or doing something different entirely.

She returned shortly after saying that she was going to be "escorted" to the class, where they would meet up with her.

≈ θ ≈

Everyone took their respective seats; Zorome pouting and muttering, Miku teasing him,Goro talking along with Ichigo who still seemed distracted by earlier that morning. Kokoro was looking at her hands in her lap, deep in thought, Futoshi was trying to talk to her, and Ikuno and Mitsuru were doing their own thing, wether it being reading a book, or scowling at Futoshi and feeling guilty of someone's wellbeing.

Nana walked in, Zero two strutting behind. Nana told her take her seat, and had the rest of the class do the same.

As Zero two passed Hiro's desk and sat in the seat beside him; she gave him a sly smile (slyle?).

He blushed and looked away in embarrassment. Zero two laughed at his antics; her smile becoming more genuine as she saw her affect on boys.

This did not go unnoticed by Ichigo, then Ichigo's jealous look was noticed by Goro.

Chain of Envy

'Now open your maths books; we'll be working on algebra and algebraic formulas today. I know you are quite new to this, but it's good to start learning.'

Zorome sank deeper into his chair as Miku appeared to grow higher and smugger above Zorome's deflating person.

'Uhhhhggggg!' groaned Zorome. 'I hate morning maths!'

The friends laughed as they took out their work books and pen and pencils; ready to start the day.

≈ θ ≈

The first few subjects and lessons were easy enough to bare, but the hours afterwards were hard to endure, as more questions and inquiries kept popping up in Hiro's head.

Every minute or so he would steal a glance at Zero two; her face in concentration as she was speeding through the work. Her focus was never deterred by the world or scenery around, as she mercilessly, ploughed through the maths.