Chapter 34: It ain't over Easy

Nana had just seen Hiro and Zero two sitting in the cafeteria.

She slumped against the wall in... guilt.

She had her own history. One that was closer to the pair's than one would suspect.

≈ θ ≈

Nana had watched the two students embrace each other, like long lost lovers. She had watched them grow up, from one school to another. She, like Hachi, had seen many great things.

She had been there, through and through...

And she was the one that had pitied – and loved – Zero two enough... that she had been the one to let her out...

Didn't see that coming, did you.

≈ θ ≈

Ichigo was practically seething, in anger and "sorrow". Definitely pissed about seeing Hiro with Zero two in the morning, and not with the rest of the squad.

All of her consideration for what he had said about Zero two, went straight out the window the moment she saw the two. She was so pissed, she interrupted Goro in the middle of talking, and strutted over to Zero two and Hiro.

'This can't be good...' muttered Goro, 'I'll be right back,' he said getting up from the table and following close behind the bluehead.

From the angle that she and the rest of the squad sat at, they couldn't see Hiro's head or facial features.

Ohhh, boy, was she in for a surprise.

Ichigo reached the pair and stood right behind Hiro.

Zero two was the first to notice the short-stack of anger.

'What do you want?' sneered Zero two. 'We're trying to have an enjoyable breakfast without... pointless bickering and arguing...'

'Oh, you think that this is pointless, now, do you?! Just how point–' her voice stopped mid-word when Hiro turned around.

Like the death sequence of an anime character, flashbacks of that night reappeared in her mind. So vivid, so clear... No wonder she heard the creaking... horns don't just grow overnight.

Even his teeth were like Zero two's; pointed and reminiscent of a vampire movie character.

Goro had finally reached her and pulled her back to the squad's table. He didn't bother looking at either Zero two or Hiro, apologising for Ichigo's rude behaviour before leaving.

Once they were gone, Hiro asked Zero two what that was all about.

'Our "great and wonderful leader" and I had a bit of... Ichigo blamed me for what happened to you... I blame myself as well, but just listening to her constantly yell and shriek at me is annoying... I'm sorry...' she explained.

'Don't be sorry,' said Hiro, returning to his food, 'there's nothing to be sorry about. I trust you and believe me when I say this, but Ichigo's always been the leader and she gets like that... I guess you'd already know about that though, wouldn't you?'

'...'

They continued on with their breakfast, touching on lighter and more 'humble' topics such as what their first class would be. 

On the other side of the room...

You could cook enough platters of eggs to serve the whole school with just Ichigo's head.

She was beyond pissed.

Breakfast finished similarly to that; one side peaceful and quiet and the other side cowering from one student whose face colour contrasted that of her hair.