Chapter 14: Drawn to the Bitter

Hiro gulped at the thought of entering the girl's side. Miku wasn't only person like herself, and if teachers caught you entering the wrong side of the dorms, it would not end well, even if you were lost or new to the school. The squad had witnessed new people do just that, ending up in detention or punishments similar.

'Is it worth it?' Hiro asked himself. 'I'm not that kind of guy anyway; I wouldn't do this...' Hiro's mind kept disputing with itself, trying to decide wether or not he would be really doing this.

'I've already gotten this far... why stop now...'

Hiro continued walking, hoping he didn't lose Zero two. If he did, he would have to either call off his 'operation' or continue looking aimlessly through corridors, most likely running into a teacher or tattletail.

The dorm doors and halls weren't that different from what was his own dorm. At least from what he could tell. His mind was mainly focussed on Zero two walking to her own room than the ones around him at the time. He did have to press himself up against a doorway to avoid being caught once or twice, which is how he properly noticed their look. They were so identical to the boys side; with brown wood hallways and doors.

'So far so good.' For how well he was doing with his stealth mission, everything seemed to be going his way at the moment. Zero two had yet to look behind or even show any signs of acknowledging his existence, behind her. It made finding her room much more easier than it should have if this wasn't the case.

'I just hope she doesn't decided to just turn around and see me... I clearly remember her skills at perception were oddly like a... like a predator...'

Hiro caught the door as it was about to fully close. Creeping in further; Hiro couldn't see her even though she was just at the door.

'Darling you pervert~' Zero two snagged his foot, enough to make him stumble into the middle of the room. Her grin was one of the first things he saw, it almost pierced through the overshadowing of Zero two's face.

'Y'know it's rude to stare, darling~'

He looked away in embarrassment, a little flustered, to her amusement.

'Oh darling... Why did you of all people follow me? Whatever reason you have, you better start owning up... Girls don't appreciate being stalked... Imagine if Ichigo was here or saw you along the way... or any other girl in the dorms... You must really need to see me, if it is that risky, darling~'

Hiro's cheeks got redder and Zero two's got wider with her smug grin.

Hiro sighed; 'I followed you because I needed you to answer some of my questions... Ever since you arrived, I've been having nagging swings of curiosity that seems to almost... taunt me; as if knowing that I do in fact know the answers...'

'Sounds like someone's got a bit of puberty going on~' she teased. 'I am surprised though.'

'Exactly!' Hiro took a step closer to her, 'You act as if you're different or alone to the rest of us...'

'I don't know if you've noticed, but, I'm not like you, or any of your friends.' She rapped a finger against her horns. Her smile was gone and her tone made it clear that this was one of her touchy subjects. He was treading in dangerous waters.

'I suppose you could say, I've... noticed? Are you saying that they're real?'

'Yes, they're real, idiot! You think I asked to be this way?!' Every word or so, Zero two would move closer, her voice getting louder, 'You think I decided one day that I was going to have horns?! You humans are all the same...'