Chapter 28: Start the Countdown

Hike finished, legs weary, and stomachs growling, again, the squad had "arrived" at the end of the hike and were greeted with a sound that was, enticing to say the least.

'Do I hear... screams?' asked Hiro. 'Or is it that I'm imagining things from the long walk?'

'No; I can hear them too...' said Goro. 'Sounds like the other campers... having fun! That or there are little kids in the camp!'

'That's odd...' said Ikuno.

Hiro turned to Nana.

'What's all the screaming about?' he asked.

'Why don't you all have a look... Hachi and I have business to attend to elsewhere...' she responded.

All the squad had smug grins on their faces.

Nana just looked at them angrily, and Hachi smiled. They then headed off to the "business" that was in need of their attention.

'Now; where were we?' asked Hiro. 'Shall we go see what's all screaming about?'

And with that, they began sprinting to the large clearing in which the screaming resonated.

When they reached the clearing, they were, to put simply; surprised. Never had they seen people of their age act so... childish and happy.

It looked as though either there was a game of red-rover, bull-rush or some tagging game.

Whatever it was, it looked fun.

The squad all jumped into the fray, enjoying the chance to be 'kids' again.

And they continued like this for an hour or so, more, until the time for dinner arrived.

After they plated their food, eaten their food, and talk for some time afterwards; the Nana and Hachi had called for everyone's attention.

They were told that instead of going to bed they would be heading to separate campfires, each for a squad and its members. They would share stories, talk, eat and cook sugary death-sentences more commonly know as the delectable marshmallow, or whatever the squad would decide to do around that time.

Everyone waited a few more minutes until it was time, and the squads all were directed to their campfires.

Not long, and Squad 13 were all settled on the large logs and outdoor chairs, around the large fire.

Hachi and Nana were supposed to be looking over the squad but had returned to their "business" after instructing the squads to the campfires.

≈ θ ≈

'So... What should we talk about?' asked Miku.

They had all been sitting there, watching the flames in sombre silence and the dance of its warming light.

'I don't know...' replied Zorome. 'What should we do...'

'Well, that helped, einstein!' said Miku, clearly annoyed. 'Some genius you are, captain obvious...'

'Hey!'

'Come on guys...' said Goro, who sounded exasperated. 'Can't we enjoy this camp without any of your bickering? God - just kiss already!'

'H-'

The two both slid over to the opposite sides of the log they shared and pouted off into the darkness and trees - looking anywhere but their partner's flushed face. They didn't look at each other for the rest of the night until they ended up sleeping against each other and waking up and accusing each other of being a pervert, and so on and so forth...